Skip to Main Content

Student Financial Services

Bookmark and Share print small medium large 


How much are you expected to contribute?

Your Resources:

Paying for your post-secondary education is a shared responsibility between yourself, your family and government. It is important that you complete this section as accurately as possible to ensure you receive the funding you are entitled to.

Your Student Contribution:

The Pre-Study Period: Unless you are injured, ill or in full-time study, you are expected to work during your pre-study period. The pre-study period is the period of time just before the start of each session of post-secondary studies. For example, if you were in high school last year your pre-study period is 10 weeks, if you were in university or the work force it is 18 weeks or at college it may be 14 weeks. Your pre-study period will be adjusted for the weeks you are available for employment up to a maximum of 18 weeks. You are expected to save money from you pre-study period to contribute to your educational costs.
  1. Earnings From Pre-Study Period:

    The pre-study period refers to the work term prior to enrollment. This section enables students to calculate their expected student contribution based on their pre-study period earnings.

    Calculate your anticipated contribution form your pre-study period below.
    A. Gross Income From Pre-Study Period
    B. Tax Deductions
    - (__________)
    C. Student Living Allowance
    - (__________)
    D. Discretionary Income
    E. Expected Student's Contribution

    1. Gross Income: Your total pre-study period gross earnings from all sources.
    2. Tax Deductions: Find your tax bracket based on your gross income level.

      Gross Income: Tax Deduction: Calculation:
      $1 - 1,499 6.83% (0.0683 * gross income) = B
      $1,500 - 2,999 7.06% (0.0706 * gross income) = B
      $3,000 - 4,499 7.88% (0.0788 * gross income) = B
      $4,500 - 5,999 9.99% (0.0999 * gross income) = B
      $6,000 and over 12.82% (0.1282 * gross income) = B
    3. Student Living Allowance: Find your weekly living allowance. Then multiply this amount by the number of weeks in your pre-study period. Then multiply that figure by the number of weeks in pre-study period.

      Weekly Living Allowance * No. Of Weeks In Pre-Study Period = C
    4. Discretionary Income: Your income after tax deductions and living allowances.

      Calculation: A - B - C = D
    5. Your Anticipated Student Contribution: The amount we expect you to contribute towards your education for this academic year.

      Calculation: 0.80 * D = E

      If you do not work full-time during your work term you will still be expected to have the minimum student contribution.

      Minimum Anticipated Student Contribution:
      Last Year You Were: Your Pre-Study
      Period Weeks
      Available to Work
      Your Anticipated
      in High School 10 $1,100
      in College 14 $1,550
      in University/Workforce 18 $2,000
  2. Study Period Income:

    Your study period is the time you are enrolled full-time in one or more semesters at a recognized post-secondary institution. If you work part-time during this period you are expected to report your income to Student Financial Services. You are allowed an exemption of fifty dollars per week on your part-time earnings. All income must be reported, even the exempt fifty dollars per week; we will apply the exemption automatically to your earnings.
  3. Other Financial Resources:

    If you have other resources, you are expected to use them to help pay for your educational costs.
    Other resources can include, but are not limited to the following.
    1. Stocks, bonds, GICs, RRSPs, RESP 
    2. Employment Insurance benefits and/or training allowances
    3. Scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, awards, assistantships, stipends or sponsorships
    4. Pension benefits (including Canada Pension and Superannuation)
    5. Alimony or maintenance payments, Workers Compensation, Income Support, Support payments, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada, etc. (Check with Student Financial Services if you need further clarification)
back to top