Birth Certificate ApplicationBirth certificate applications are processed by the Vital Statistics Office of Prince Edward Island. Applications are NOT accepted by fax or email.
The information must be provided exactly as recorded on the birth registration. If this information does not match the information of the birth registration, the certificate will not be issued.
Who can apply for a birth certificate?
- the person named on the certificate
- a parent of the person named on the certificate (if the parent's name appears on the registration of birth)
- a spouse of the person named on the certificate (proof of marriage required)
- a person authorized, in writing, by the person named on the certificate, or by his/her parents if they are listed on the birth registration
- a court order
- a lawyer acting for the person, or parents named on the
certificate (must have written authorization or proof of retainer)
Who can apply for a certified true copy of the birth registration?
- the person to whom the registration applies (must be 18 years of age)
- a person who is shown on the registration as the parent of the person in respect of whom the registration applies
- a court order
- other officials as authorized in the Act
How long does it take to process a birth certificate application?
- Standard service is 10-12 business days
- Rush service is processed in two business days
What payment options are available?
- money order or cheque (post dated cheques not accepted)
- credit card with expiry date
- debit card (for in person transactions)
Birth Certificate / Birth Registration Fees:
|Birth Certificate - Standard||$25|
|Birth Certificate - Detailed (recommended for travel with children under 16 years of age)||$35|
|Delayed or Late Registration of Birth (one year after date of birth)||$25|
|Certified Copy of Birth Registration||$35|
|Certified Copy of Stillbirth Registration||$35|
|Amendment to the Birth Registration (adding father information)||$25|
|Altering or Adding a Given Name to Birth Registration||$25|
|*Rush Fee - processed in 2 business days (CERTIFICATES ONLY)||$50|
|Emergency Fee - Same day processing (two hours notice required - CERTIFICATES ONLY)||$100|
|Courier Fee (Xpress Post) - Maritimes (NS, NB, PEI)||$11.40|
|Courier Fee (Xpress Post) - Rest of Canada (NL, PQ, Ont, Man, Sask, AB, BC, Territories)||$22.80|
|Courier Fee - Outside of Canada (please call for pricing and to arrange: 1-902-838-0880)|
*Rush service is only available for certificates. This fee schedule is subject to change.
Birth Record Application
Delayed Registration of Birth, Marriage or Death Application
General Contact Information