Skip to Main Content

Vital Statistics

print small medium large 


Marriage Licence

Before being married in Prince Edward Island, you must obtain a marriage licence from Vital Statistics. A marriage licence means that you may get married; it does not mean that you are actually married.

You must provide the marriage licence to the clergy person or officiant (judge, marriage commissioner, etc.) performing your marriage. The marriage cannot take place without the licence.

NOTE: You do not have to be a resident of PEI to be married in the province.

Is there a minimum age required to be married?

To obtain a marriage licence, both individuals must be 18 years of age. If you are younger than 18, you must first obtain the consent of both of your parents. Contact the Vital Statistics Office for a consent form.

Does the licence have an expiry date?

A marriage licence is valid for three months from the date it was issued to you. This means that you do not have to wait until the week before your wedding to get your marriage licence. Take care of this early so you don't have to worry as your wedding date draws closer!

What if I am divorced or widowed?

If you or your partner is divorced, no licence will be issued until the divorce has been finalized and proof is provided. If one or both of you are widowed, proof of death must be provided for the previous spouse.

Are we both required to attend the appointment to get a marriage licence?

Yes, you are both required to attend the appointment. A marriage licence will be issued to you on site; you do not have to return to pick it up or wait for it to arrive by mail. You will also be provided with a package for the clergy or officiant performing your marriage ceremony.


Are we required to take an oath or make an affirmation to get a marriage licence?
Yes, an affidavit outlining the particulars of the marriage, by each of you, must be made by taking an oath or making an affirmation (Subsection 14(2) of the Marriage Act).  You can chose to take an oath on a religous text or make a solemn affirmation; the decision is yours.  If you have a preference, please bring this to the attention of the Issuer at the time of your appointment.  Vital Statistics does not carry religious texts of all faiths.  Should you wish to take an oath on a religious text we recommend that you bring your preferred religious text to the marriage licence appointment. 

What do we need to bring to the appointment to get my marriage licence?

  • Valid birth certificate issued by the province/territory if you were born in Canada. A passport does not substitute for a birth certificate. If you were born outside of Canada, you will need to provide:

    • birth certificate, or

    • IMM/Immigration form, or

    • permanent resident or citizenship card confirming your full legal names, birth date and place of birth.

    • only in exceptional circumstances might other documents be accepted.

  • Current Photo ID which can be your passport, driver's licence, or other government issued identification. 

  • Marriage licence fee payable by cash, debit or credit card. This fee is non-refundable.

  • Date and place of marriage and the name of your officiant (clergy, marriage commissioner or other authorized individual) performing the marriage. Your officiant must be confirmed prior to your licence appointment.

  • NOTE: Officiants must be registered with Vital Statistics to perform marriages in PEI. If your chosen officiant is not registered you will not be issued a licence. If your officiant changes between the time your licence was issued and the date of your marriage, you must contact Vital Statistics to inform us of this change and to ensure the individual is registered to perform your marriage. Your marriage will not be registered (and legal) with Vital Statistics and the Province of Prince Edward Island if your officiant is not registered and licenced with Vital Statistics to perform the ceremony.
  • Provincial health card if you are a PEI resident.

  • Certificate of divorce, with seal intact, if one or both of you are divorced.

  • Original death certificate of spouse if one or both of you are widowed (issued from the vital statistics office in the jurisdiction where the death occurred).  

Fee: $100 for a marriage licence

Book your appointment

Appointments must be made in advance by contacting Vital Statistics by phone or email.
Contact information:   Phone toll free (in Canada): 1-877-320-1253 or 1-902-838-0880

A marriage licence can also be processed at any of the Access PEI sites listed below (booking in advance is recommended).

Related Links:


Marriage and Death Records Application
Delayed Registration of Birth, Marriage or Death Application

General Contact Information

Address : 
126 Douses Road
Montague, PE
C0A 1R0
(902) 838-0880
(902) 838-0883

Service Location

126 Douses Road

Access PEI Alberton

Access PEI O'Leary


Access PEI Summerside

Access PEI Tignish

Access PEI Wellington

back to top