Overview of the proposed Water Act
The proposed Water Act could consolidate several existing pieces of legislation and regulations, including
elements of the Environmental Protection Act, Water Well Regulations, Drinking Water and Wastewater Facility Operating Regulations, and Watercourse and Wetland Protection Regulations.
The proposed Water Act would address the following key issues::
- Ensuring good water quality for human consumption and the environment;
- Managing the allocation of water for human consumption and economic sustainability, while
protecting streams, rivers and related aquatic environments;
- Improving water use efficiency and conservation;
- Managing water on a watershed basis;
- Considering water in land use decisions; and
- Streamlining the regulation and permitting process.
The provincial government is interested in all views and encourages everyone to comment.