aussi disponible en français
January 15, 2015
For immediate release
Seniors to benefit from expanded library delivery service
Tourism and Culture
View details and
A recent expansion of the Provincial Public Library Service’s (PLS) Community Care Facility Delivery Service means more Island seniors and other facility residents now have better access to library materials, says Minister of Tourism and Culture Robert Henderson.
“The main goal of the Public Library Service is to foster a life-long love of books and reading,” said Minister Henderson. “This program gives residents at nursing homes, community and long term care facilities across the province an opportunity to borrow library materials they might not otherwise be able to access. It’s a great way for the PLS to reach out to a group of Islanders that may not be able to travel to a local library.”
The Community Care Facility Delivery Service began as a pilot offered at four locations in 2009. Since then the free program has expanded to another 23 facilities, ten of which were added this past fall.
Every six weeks a new collection of both regular and large print books, CD’s, DVD’s and audio books is delivered to each facility. Residents can borrow materials from that collection until the next delivery arrives and the materials are refreshed.
“Many of our residents were regular users of public libraries before they came to our facility so this program helps keep them connected to that part of their life,” said the Program Coordinator at Andrews of Stratford, Sharon Woods-Bryenton. “This program is an asset to our daily activities and is enjoyed by many residents. It provides another alternative to the many programs already offered at Andrews of Stratford. It’s a great service and one we value a great deal.”
The PLS has a collection of materials set aside specifically for the program. That collection continues to grow to meet the ever increasing demand for the service. The program’s entire annual budget of $7,000 is used to purchase additional materials.
For more information on the program visit www.library.pe.ca/communitycare.
And for more information on the Public Library Service visit www.library.pe.ca.
PEI Public Library Service
Community Care Facility Delivery Service
• Perrin’s Marina Villa, Montague
• MacKinnon Pines Lodge, Montague
• Dr. John. M. Gillis Memorial Lodge, Belfast
• Carroll’s Lodge, Georgetown
• French Creek Lodge, Lower Montague
• Bayview Lodge, Souris
• Andrews of Stratford
• Rosewood Residence, Hunter River
• Whisperwood Villa, Charlottetown
• Andrews of Charlottetown
• Stamper Residence, Charlottetown
• Prince Edward Home, Charlottetown
• Corrigan Home, Charlottetown (Sherwood)
• Charlotte Residence, Charlottetown
• McQuaid Lodge, Charlottetown
• Valley House, Charlottetown
• Langille House, Charlottetown
• Tenderwood Lodge, Charlottetown
• Tignish Seniors Co-op, Tignish
• Parkhill Place, Summerside
• Summerset Manor, Summerside
• MacEwen Mews, Kensington
• Clinton View Lodge, Kensington
• Le Chez Nous L’tee, Wellington
• Rev. W.J. Phillips Residence, Alberton
• Maplewood Manor, Alberton
• Valley Lodge, Tyne Valley