aussi disponible en français
February 19, 2015
For immediate release
Forums raise awareness about entrepreneurship for all ages
There is nothing simple about entrepreneurship. Those who take the leap to become entrepreneurs often describe running their own business as the most challenging and rewarding experience of their working lives. Active Communities Inc. (ACI), a Rural Action Centre in Montague, wants to promote the entrepreneurial spirit in residents of all ages throughout eastern Prince Edward Island. For the second year, ACI is hosting Entrepreneurial Forums, free of charge to youth and seniors.
The Youth Forum, Creating your Path to Success: Be the Unexpected! will be held on Wednesday, March 11th (March 12th storm day). Active Communities has coordinated an interesting line-up for the day, including local entrepreneurs to speak to participants. The goal is to energize those in attendance and encourage them to think outside the box for their future career. The Seniors Forum, 55+ Turning Wisdom into Dollars, which was held on January 13th sold out quickly and was well-received by participants. The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and the Honourable Allen Roach, PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning today announced their governments’ support for these forums.
• The Government of Canada is supporting Active Communities Inc. with a total contribution of $12,000 through ACOA’s Business Development Program.
• The Government of Prince Edward Island will contribute $4,000 through its Department of Innovation and Advanced Learning and Innovation PEI.
• Active Communities is a non-profit organization mandated to develop economic opportunities and to facilitate community and economic development including job creation in eastern PEI. ACI works with communities, development groups, businesses, individuals and all levels of government to build a stronger economy in the region.
• The day-long events introduce youth and seniors to the life of being an entrepreneur, the steps required to create a business and the benefits to owning your own business.
“Entrepreneurship is an option for Canadians of all ages and an array of programs and services are available to those who pursue this exciting opportunity. Our Government is proud to support Active Communities Inc. in its efforts to organize Entrepreneurship Forums for youth and senior Islanders to provide information and support for those interested in starting a new business.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Our Island is rich with energetic, creative and ambitious people of all ages. By educating youth and seniors about entrepreneurship, our government is encouraging people to put that potential to use and to pursue their own business ambitions.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning
“Our staff here at the Rural Action Centre recognize that a number of eastern PEI residents have a strong desire to learn more about entrepreneurship. We want to ensure that those interested need not feel apprehensive about this career option, but excited and know that we are here to guide and support the process. Our second annual Seniors Entrepreneurship Forum held in January was a well-received, sold-out success! We are excited about our upcoming Youth Forum in March; there are great things in store for participants.”
- Ms. Martina MacDonald, General Manager, Active Communities Inc.