aussi disponible en français
June 3, 2015
For immediate release
Throne Speech delivers clear plan and pledge for active, responsive governance
View details and
Today’s Throne Speech outlines government’s vision and plan to meet Prince Edward Island’s challenges head on while leveraging opportunities to strengthen the economy, our communities and engagement.
“I’m looking forward to robust, productive and focused discussions on growing our economy, engaging our citizens and investing in the right areas to meet the needs of Islanders,” said Premier Wade MacLauchlan.
The new government’s plan includes:
• Tabling a white paper on Democratic Renewal that will serve as a catalyst to further engage Islanders in the democratic process
• Improving access to medications by capping the cost of generic drugs to under $20 for uninsured Islanders under the age of 65
• Investing $1 million in a rural paramedicine pilot program that will allow paramedics to visit seniors in their homes
• Collaborating with and supporting key sectors and partners to grow and increase exports
• Initiating an aggressive prospecting and sales strategy through Sales Force PEI
• Actively advancing Prince Edward Island as Canada’s Food Island
• Working with local governments to develop a new Municipal Government Act
• Engaging and involving Islanders on a number of priority issues like the new Water Act and a Poverty Reduction Strategy
• Supporting and expanding the delivery of post-secondary programs in French
• Launching a new youth mental health unit in Charlottetown
• Ensuring there is wi-fi in all schools in 2016
“We will continue to build on the progress that we made in the last few months towards restoring fiscal balance,” said MacLauchlan. “By controlling our expenditures along with a clear plan to grow our revenues, this government is committed to balancing its budget in 2016-2017.”
For more information and to read the full speech, please go to: www.gov.pe.ca/thronespeech .