Skip to Main Content

Web Archive

print small medium large 

aussi disponible en français
September 11, 2006
For immediate release

15 Victoria Properties Receive Heritage Recognition

Community and Cultural Affairs

Community and Cultural Affairs Minister Elmer MacFadyen today formally recognized the registration of 15 heritage places in Victoria, and bestowed the community with the unofficial title of Prince Edward Island’s heritage village. Victoria has more registered heritage places than any other community in this province, except for Charlottetown.

“This is a particularly important presentation ceremony because it marks the first time that we have moved beyond individual presentations and have recognized the commitment of an entire community to heritage,” the Minister noted.

The registrations announced today resulted from a pilot project undertaken through the process of the provincial Heritage Places Protection Act, and through a partnership with the P.E.I. Museum and Heritage Foundation and the Government of Canada Historic Places Initiative. Researchers explored the rich heritage of the community of Victoria and recommended 42 nominations for heritage places in Victoria.

Applications for the Register of Heritage Places are assessed by a ministerial advisory board known as the Heritage Places Advisory Board. Using such criterion as age, architectural style and historical associations, the advisory board makes a recommendation to the Minister concerning the appropriate level of recognition.

The Board recommended 15 Victoria properties for recognition, and will continue to review the remaining nominations. Another Victoria property, the Seagull on Water Street, was registered in 2004.

Minister MacFadyen commended the Village Commission and the people of Victoria for their contribution to the success of the project. “This pilot project is a clear success and we will be working with other communities across the province based on the lessons we have learned here,” he said.

He also spoke about the importance of cultural tourism as one of the fastest growing segments of the tourism market. “Victoria has been a leader in the province in this area. Combining the attractions of theatre, restaurants, accommodation and a seaside location, Victoria has been natural destination not just for tourists but also for Islanders for many years.”

Any site or structure thought to be important to the history and culture of Prince Edward Island is eligible to be considered for the Register of Heritage Places. Recognized heritage places are listed on, the Canadian Register of Historic Places.


The goal of the Heritage Recognition Program is to recognize places with outstanding importance because of their architecture, their age or their association with people and events of historical significance. The program provides for public recognition and identification and will both recognize and encourage public stewardship of the province's architectural heritage. Entry on the register is accompanied by a certificate presented to the owner of the heritage place.

The following 15 properties in Victoria by the Sea have been registered under the Heritage Places Protection Act.

Victoria Village Inn was built circa 1870s as a private home possibly for Thomas Trowsdale who operated a carriage shop on the site for a short time. Captain Allan MacLean and his family occupied the house for a number of years. The building retains a number of original Victorian style architectural elements including the Island ell design, ornamental embellishments including the gingerbread trim, brackets and arched and round-headed window. Converted in the 1970s, the Inn has been operating for some 30 years and is a important architectural structure in the village of Victoria, prominently situated in the centre of the village, next to the Victoria Community Centre and Playhouse.

2 Howard Street was built in the 1870s in the centre gable architectural style for sea captain William Furlong and his family. The residence was later occupied by school inspector Alexander Campbell, and in the early 20th century the property was home to William Collett and family. Collett operated a forge on the site. For a time in the 1970s and 1980s, the property housed an antique clock shop.

6 Howard Street was built as a branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia in 1925. The Bank occupied the main floor, with living quarters on the second floor. The building's architectural style shows foursquare style influences, and its features are intact. The Bank operated from 1925 to 1957 when it closed due to interior fire damage, and the pressure of the shift towards Crapaud as the regional business centre with the development of the Trans-Canada highway. The building's integrity, good architectural elements and design, its excellent condition and its association with the economic history of the village are factors that make this property of historical significance.

26 Howard Street was built in the 1860s-1870s and its architecture is unique in that the centre gable is located on both the front and the back of the house. Although the original summer kitchen was removed from the rear of the building many years ago, it has retained a number of original architectural elements including some windows and the front door. The residence has been occupied over the years by various members of the Howatt, Leard and Clark families and, for a time, by Rev. Joseph Joyce.

5 Main Street was built in the 1880s for William and Charlotte MacQuarrie. After William's death, Charlotte married mariner Albert Clark in 1898 and the house continued to be in the family until the 1970s. This property was later used as a craft shop and housed a glass studio, possibly the first in the province.

10 Main Street was built for Neil Penpraise (1851-1938) who operated a community store in the village for many years. From the 1920s to 1960s, the house was occupied by Louisa Dougherty, widow of Dr. William Dougherty, and her children. This house is in excellent condition and has retained most of its architectural features.

22 Main Street dates from the 1870s with a centre gable style. Although there have been some changes to the building to accommodate its use as an ice cream shop, it retains a number of original features including a very early, if not original, front door with transom window and sidelights.

Island Chocolates Company Building was originally built as a general store in 1893. The property has had a long association with commerce in the village of Victoria and for many years operated as Wright Bros. Besides operating a general store, the Wright Bros. were engaged in commercial trade.

9 Russell Street was built approximately 1890, possibly by local builder Charles Rogers. It is the only Italianate style building in Victoria. The building's unique architecture and design, the fact that the house retains its original clapboard, porch, trim, fretwork and brackets and its good exterior condition are factors that make this property of historical interest.

The Landmark Café, 12 Main Street, was built in the 1880's and has been a focal point in the village of Victoria having served originally as a general store and cobbler's shop. The building has housed many other commercial ventures throughout the years and has always been a popular gathering place for the community. The architectural design and condition of the building are good.

The Boswell Home, 98 Nelson Street, circa 1890 was built in the Queen Anne architectural style and has remained largely unaltered. It has remained in the Boswell family since it was built and has a strong connection to the community of Victoria.

Victoria Community Centre and Playhouse, the former Victoria Hall, was built in 1915 by Win Bradley, a carpenter/contractor from Kelly's Cross. A gathering place for numerous community social events and causes, the building still figures very prominently in the centre of the Village. The building remains on its original site, has retained its original architectural features, and additions and renovations have been sympathetically carried out. Since 1982, the Victoria Hall has operated successfully as the Victoria Playhouse drawing visitors from across the province and beyond.

Eureka House, 20 Water Street, was built as a hotel in the 1860s by James Johnston. It is one of the earliest buildings in Victoria. Eureka House was strategically located on the waterfront and is a focal point for the community. For a time, the post office was operated from this building. Eureka House has had a long association with the tourism industry in Victoria. Now a private residence, it continues to operate as a small guest house. While the building has had additions and renovations over the years, the original style and design of the original hotel are discernable.

The Orient Hotel was originally built in the classic Island ell farmhouse style, likely by carpenter Charles Rogers in the late 1880s - early 1890s. This building has had a long association with the tourism industry in the Village of Victoria. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Rogers operated the Orient Hotel from 1900. In 1930, subsequent owners added a third floor to accommodate increased tourist trade. The condition of the building is very good and it is of a unique architectural design.

Victoria United Church was built in 1877 by local builder Lloyd French. The building occupies its original site and has many original architectural features including its arched windows and clapboard siding. Originally built as a Wesleyan Methodist church, it became affiliated with United Church of Canada in 1925. The Victoria United Church is the oldest church in Victoria.

Heritage Places Advisory Board Members: John Cousins, Carter Jeffery, Grace Blackett, Isabel Court and Edmund Gallant.

Media Contact: Charlotte Stewart
back to top