October 4, 2006
For immediate release
PEI Scores with Making the Connection Legends of Golf
* The national English and French television broadcast of the Legends was seen by 126,000 people;
* The Legends has been seen in the United Kingdom, Germany, Spain and the U.S.
* 216 stories were written about the Legends in publications with a circulation of 29,759,562 and a potential reach of 88,617,434;
* 85% of those who attended the Legends said they would attend again;
* 84% of those attending said the Legends was the primary purpose of their trip to P.E.I.;
* The average off-Island visitor spent three days on the Island and spent $2,700;
* 97% of those surveyed rated the event as a positive experience.
“We are very proud of the success that the Making the Connections Legends of Golf enjoyed in its first year, and even more proud of partnering with the Province of PEI, and the many corporate sponsors, to bring it to the Island,” said Brad Pelletier, Vice President and Managing Director of IMG Canada. “The television broadcast brought the event and the beauty of Prince Edward Island to golf fans around the world and we look forward to growing it in future years.”
Tourism Minister for Prince Edward Island, Honourable Philip Brown, said that the Legends of Golf is a great marketing vehicle for the Province. “Events like the Making the Connection Legends of Golf help to develop the Island’s reputation as an international golf and tourism destination. The event has already been broadcast in several major international markets and more airings will take place over the next several months. We expect the benefits to be long term as we establish the Legends as one of Canada’s premier golf tournaments. All great golf destinations associate themselves with major golf events. Look at the value of the recent Ryder Cup to Ireland,” said Minister Brown.
Minister Brown went on to note that the Legends was instrumental in bringing a number of major Canadian corporations to the Island as sponsors. “In addition to the media value, the Legends introduced corporate Canada to Prince Edward Island as a place to do business. I am also pleased with the money raised for the Heart and Stroke Foundation,” said Mr. Brown.
Planning is now underway for the 2007 Making the Connection Legends of Golf.
Copies of the report can be obtained at the Tourism PEI office.