aussi disponible en français
February 19, 2007
For immediate release
Victoria Adds 13 Heritage Properties to the Register
Community and Cultural Affairs
View details and
The 13 Victoria properties receiving recognition for their historic significance brings the total for recognized heritage places in the Village of Victoria to 29. This includes two properties which have been Designated as Heritage Places under the Heritage Places Protection Act. Both the Victoria Village Inn and the Victoria Community Centre and Playhouse were recently designated as heritage properties, and Minister MacFadyen unveiled commemorative plaques at both properties this morning. Designation is the higher level of recognition under the Heritage Places Protection Act and provides legal restrictions on any changes to the landscape or to the architectural heritage defining the elements of the place.
Doma Home in Tryon – sometimes known as the Gouldrup-Gamble house – was also recognized today with a Registration Certificate.
“I would like to congratulate the property owners, who recognize and appreciate the historic value of these places and have worked to preserve them,” said Minister MacFadyen. “These buildings and places teach us about the history and the accomplishments of our ancestors, while reflecting the pride of their owners and communities today. They truly are our biggest artifacts.”
The Heritage Canada Foundation promotes the third Monday in February each year as Heritage Day. Heritage Week activities will continue throughout the week.
Victoria Heritage Properties
The following properties have been designated under the provincial Heritage Places Protection Act and have been presented with plaques for designated heritage places.
The Victoria Village Inn: Built in the 1870s as a private home possibly for Thomas Trowsdale who operated a carriage shop on the site for a short time. Captain Allan MacLean and his family occupied the house for a number of years. The building retains a number of original Victorian style architectural elements including the Island ell design, ornamental embellishments including the gingerbread trim, brackets and arched and round-headed window. Converted in the 1970s, the Inn has been operating for some 30 years and is an important architectural structure in the village of Victoria, prominently situated in the centre of the village, next to the Victoria Community Centre and Playhouse.
The Victoria Community Centre and Playhouse: The former Victoria Hall was built in 1915 by Win Bradley, a carpenter/contractor from Kelly's Cross. A gathering place for numerous community social events and causes, the building still figures very prominently in the centre of the Village. The building remains on its original site, has retained its original architectural features, and additions and renovations have been sympathetically carried out. Since 1982, the Victoria Hall has operated successfully as the Victoria Playhouse drawing visitors from across the province and beyond.
The following 13 properties in Victoria by the Sea have been registered under the provincial Heritage Places Protection Act.
Dunrovin, located at 31 Nelson Street: This residence was built in 1910 for Charles Palmer, son of Donald W. Palmer, who, in 1855, set aside 20 acres of the Palmer estate to establish the village of Victoria. Built in the Queen Anne Revival architectural style, this is the third residence on this property. Formerly known as Recess III, the house was renamed Dunrovin by the Wood family when they acquired the property in 1929.
The Rowans at 88 Nelson Street: This house may have been built as early as the 1850s. Believed to have been relocated to its current location from Hampton in the early 1880s, the house is in the Victorian Gingerbread style. The house was later owned by the Archibald family who added the wrap-around verandah, front gable, servants' quarters and gingerbread trim. The property grounds are distinguished by a number of rowan trees. From 1927 until 1980, the property was owned by the Inman family.
132 Nelson Street: This residence is a two-storey wood shingled Georgian influenced home believed to have been built by Dr. H.B. Hillcoat in 1868. Other families which have been associated with the property include Rogerson, Lea, Lord and MacVittie. The symmetrical facade of the house and central entrance demonstrate qualities of the Georgian style. Although some alterations have occurred, the house maintains its paired eave brackets, pronounced eave returns, and window hood mouldings.
St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church: Built in 1901 by the Haslam Brothers of Victoria replacing the 1841 church building on this site at 391 Nelson Street. The church was designed by renowned Island architect William Critchlow Harris. It is a good example of Gothic Revival architecture, elements of which are evident in its buttresses, pointed arch tracery windows, semi-circular apse and corner tower with a pinnacle in each corner. Prominently located on the edge of Victoria, St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church is a landmark in the area.
3 Russell Street: A two-storey wood framed house in the Centre Gable Maritime Vernacular architectural style. Dating from the 1880s, this building has retained most of its original architectural features. Once occupied by John P. Knox, a lobster fisherman, the residence passed to his son Jim Knox and family. Jim Knox was involved in the fisheries in Victoria for more than 60 years and also operated a fox farm.
23 Russell Street: Built between 1870 and 1880 in the Maritime Vernacular Centre Gable style. Several original architectural elements remain intact, including the decorative verandah and support columns and window caps. A prominent sun room on the second floor was added in the 1930s or 1940s. This residence is most associated with the family of Victoria businessman L.D. MacLeod and remains with descendants of the MacLeod family today. Also associated with the property is a healing or T.B. cottage moved to the property in the late 1930s used for convalescing tuberculosis patients.
22 Water Street: This house was built by Victoria businessman Angus Brien in the Colonial Georgian style and dates from the 1870s. The building retains most of its original character and architectural features and is in very good condition. Angus Brien was known for his lumbering and general merchandising business and by 1880, he had his own wharf in the Village and several warehouses which contributed greatly to the economy of Victoria.
24 Main Street: This residence was built between 1880 and 1890, possibly for Warren Hood, a local tinsmith. Other families which have been associated with the property include Stordy, Brooks, Clark, Cameron and MacLean. The building is in the Centre Chimney architectural style and features several original surviving architectural elements including the two bay windows of the north elevation, the two over two windows with decorative caps and the panelled doors. The pitch of the roof was changed sometime in the 1970s from a low pitch to a gable roof. The architectural features of the house present a unique style in the Village.
27 Main Street: This house was built in the 1870s for Charles Wright. The residence was later occupied by tailor Murdock Stewart and family. In 1911, the house was transferred to Charles F. Miller (1867-1945), a lobster packer, a Singer Sewing Machine Co. representative and a piano tuner. The property remained in the Miller family into the 1970s. The architectural features of the house present a good example of the Plain architectural style in the village, evident in the simple wood frame construction and shingle cladding, and the small verandah entrance.
28 Main Street: Built as a private residence for Benjamin Haslam in the 1870s, this property is an example of the Island ell style of architecture. Following the Haslam family’s residency, the family of Jabez Lea (1847-1934) occupied the home. In more recent years, the residence has been converted to house a retail arts studio and craft shop. The building's age, its architectural elements and design, including the original multi-paned transom and side lights at the front entrance, and its association with Victoria’s early residents are factors that make this property of historical significance.
30 Main Street: This building was built after 1910 in the Four-square style, one of only a few of this architectural style in Victoria. The building was owned during its early history by Herb Profitt and Charles Rogers who were associated with the nearby Orient Hotel. The home is the childhood residence of the late Senator Heath Macquarrie (1919-2002) and remained in the Macquarrie family until 2003 as the Macquarrie's summer home. The architectural style, its excellent exterior condition, its integrity and its association with Senator Heath Macquarrie are reasons for the heritage place registration of this property.
31 Main Street: Built circa 1926 for Austin Sobey who operated a grocery store and ice cream parlour in the front room for a number of years. The home was built in the Cottage architectural style. The house has remained on its original site and has had few alterations. Beginning in the 1940s, the home was also used as a summer residence by Helena Maud Lea, widow of former Premier Walter Lea (1874-1936).
10 Nelson Street: This house is in the Late Victorian Plain style which was popular in the Maritimes from 1880-1915. This architectural style was characterized by a straightforward design with little ostentation. This example features attractive box bay windows and subdued moulding around the doors and windows. The steep pitch of the gable roof is another hallmark of the style. The home has been associated with the McNevin family from 1914 until the 1970s.
The following Tryon property has also been registered under the Heritage Places Protection Act.
Doma in Tryon (Doma means “home”): Built in the Maritime Vernacular Centre Dormer style, the home has also been known as the Gouldrup-Gamble house. It is believed to have been built by John Gouldrup in 1855. By 1883, the property was owned by Thomas Gamble and it remained in the Gamble family until the late 1940s, when it was sold to Claude Vessey who made and repaired horse harnesses on the site. With its long history in the community and its well preserved architectural style, Doma continues to contribute to the community of Tryon.