June 3, 2009
For immediate release
Hunter River and Hazel Grove Heritage Properties Added to the Register
Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour
View details and
Under the Heritage Places Protection Act, properties may be registered or designated as a heritage place. Designation is the higher level of recognition and provides legal restrictions on any changes to the exterior historic architecture and character defining elements of the place.
“I would like to congratulate the property owners who recognize and appreciate the historic value of these places and have worked to preserve them,” said Minister Bertram. “These buildings and places teach us about the history and the accomplishments of our ancestors, while reflecting the pride of their owners and communities today.”
The properties were identified for nomination through a federal Historic Places Initiative research project. Nominations for the Register of Heritage Places are reviewed and evaluated by the Heritage Places Advisory Board using criteria based on age, architectural style and design, integrity, exterior condition and historical associations.
The properties have been added to the PEI Register of Heritage Places. There are more than 700 PEI heritage property listings on the provincial (www.peihistoricplaces.ca) and national (www.historicplaces.ca) Historic Places websites.
The following properties have been registered under the provincial Heritage Places Protection Act and have been presented with registration certificates.
Richardson House (former James Patterson Homestead), Rennie’s Road, Hunter River:
The Patterson Homestead is believed to be one of the oldest properties in Hunter River. Home to three generations of the Patterson family, early settlers in the community, the family established and operated grist and saw mills serving Hunter River and surrounding communities. The home was operated as a tourist accommodation in the 1960s and 1970s. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, a dental office was operated from the home.
Evelyn Bertram House (former Royal Bank of Canada), 4281 Rte. 13, Hopedale Road, Hunter River:
This four-square commercial/residential property was built in 1918 to house the Royal Bank of Canada on its main floor, and to provide employee living quarters upstairs. Used continuously as a bank until 1976, the building was then variously occupied as a craft shop, constituency office and pharmacy. The building is of very good architectural style and design and is in good condition.
Former Noye House, 4285 Rte. 13, Hopedale Road, Hunter River:
This property was built between 1917-1922 in the Colonial Revival architectural style for local prominent businessman Percy Noye. In the 1920s, the home was operated as a boarding house. A 1950s addition was used for various commercial ventures over the years including a contracting office, pharmacy, MP’s office and doctor’s office. The home has retained much of its original architectural features and is in very good condition.
Hunter River Library, 19792 Rte. 2, Hunter River:
Built prior to 1930, the building was first used as a residence, then as the Hunter River Library until the early 1990s. One of the first branch libraries in the province, at one time it served 20 communities in the Hunter River area. Largely unaltered, the building retains its simple architectural style and original doors and windows.
The Forge located at 4377 Rte. 13 Rennie’s Road, Hunter River:
This is the last of seven blacksmith shops which once operated in Hunter River, and one of the few remaining forges in the province. The blacksmith shop was a local gathering place and played an important role in a rural Prince Edward Island industry. The Forge, built in the early 1900s, retains most of its original architectural features and is in good condition.
Carter W. Jeffery Home (former Lefuta Wood Home), 4367 Rte. 13, Rennie’s Road, Hunter River:
Built approximately 1905, this cross gable residence was home to Lefuta Wood (d. 1942) and family, owner and operator of the Hunter River Electric Company and adjacent saw mill. The house was originally one storey; a second storey was added in the 1930s to provide additional living space. The house is in very good condition and has retained much of its historic fabric.
Wood-Drying Kiln, 4373 Rte. 13, Rennie’s Road, Hunter River:
An integral part of the saw mill operation, the wood-drying kiln was used to store and dry wood as part of the saw milling process. The current owners have restored the building. This is a rare example of a simple industrial building which was, at one time, a very important component of a rural Prince Edward Island lumber mill.
Nisbet Home (former MacLeod-Spence Home, former Amelia House B&B), 4273 Rte. 13, Hopedale Road, Hunter River :
Built in the Island ell architectural style, the home was originally owned by Lt. Col. Theophilus MacLeod, a merchant tailor. Additional owners of the property included the MacKenzie and Rackham families and John and Sarah Spence. The residence has housed not only families, but also local businesses over the years: tailor shop, store, Royal Bank, telephone office, barbershop, bakery and tourism accommodation.
Margaret and Gordon Smith House (former United Church manse), 4315 Rte. 13, Rennie’s Road, Hunter River:
Built prior to 1902 by local builder David Silliphant, this Island ell style home is unique in its architectural style and design. A doctor’s office was added circa 1910 and was home to Dr. James Rodgerson and family until 1929 when dentist Dr. Raymond Barrett and family took possession. In 1945, the house was transferred to the Hunter River United Church Trustees to be used as the church manse. Currently it is a private residence.
Hunter River Presbyterian Church, 19800 Rte. 2, Hunter River:
Built jointly by Presbyterian, Church of Scotland and Methodist adherents in 1890, the church became Presbyterian when numbers of Church of Scotland and Methodist members in the community dwindled. During church union in 1925, the members of this church voted to remain Presbyterian. The church is a good example of simple architectural style and design with Gothic Revival elements and is in excellent condition.
St. Mary’s of the People Roman Catholic Church, 19719 Route 2, Hunter River:
Designed by Charlottetown architect Keith Pickard, and built by Walter Reid, contractor, this modern Gothic church opened in 1949. The church was named in honour of Hunter River born Cardinal James C. McGuigan (1894-1974) who blessed the church at its dedication service in 1950. Essentially unaltered, the Church is prominently located on the hill approaching Hunter River.
Ben Bernard House (former MacLeod House), 4296 Rte. 13, Rennie’s Road, Hunter River:
This residence was built in 1898 for successful local merchant George S. MacLeod and is an excellent example of the Island ell architectural style. The house passed to George’s son D. M. “Dan” MacLeod who established the Hunter River Hydro Electric Company. In the 1930s, the home was acquired by the Bernard family. In 2007, the current owner was honoured for the preservation work undertaken to restore the home.
Harvey and Velda Bertram House (former Harold Bagnall Home), 24 Rte. 228, Hazel Grove Road, Hazel Grove:
Built by John Warren in the Island ell architectural style in 1902 for the Joseph Edwin Bagnall family, this residence has retained most of its original architectural features with few alterations. The home remained in the Bagnall family until 1967 when the current owners purchased the house and farm.
John and Bethany Bagnall House (former Pope Bagnall House), 22 Rte. 239 St. Patrick’s Road, Hazel Grove:
This four-square with Colonial revival detailing home was designed by well-known Prince Edward Island architect C.B. Chappell and was built in 1909. Built as a summer residence for William Bagnall, it was purchased by William’s brother Pope in the 1930s, and has remained in the Bagnall family. The house is a rare example of a Chappell designed building in rural Prince Edward Island.
Former New Glasgow United Church, New Glasgow:
Constructed in 1840 as a Presbyterian Church on land donated by Robert Moffatt overlooking the Clyde River in New Glasgow, this former church features a gable roofed sanctuary with a central entrance tower. The tower features four corner finials connected by a battlement design. Several historic figures in Island history are associated with this place including Rev. John Geddie, who served as a missionary to the New Hebrides; the Hon. David Laird who became Lieutenant Governor of the Northwest Territories; and Rev. John Sutherland Bonnell, a theologian who once served as president of the New York Theological Seminary.
The following two properties have been designated a Heritage Place under the Heritage Places Protection Act.
Roy - Bagnall Stone House (former Edwin C. Bagnall, Stone House), Route 2 in Hazel Grove:
Built in 1851 for Edwin C. Bagnall (1826-1865), this house is an excellent example of an early Island sandstone residence, one of only a handful in the province. The residence is of an excellent architectural style and design and retains much of its original features without alteration. The current owner is restoring the interior. The building is of major importance in establishing the historic character of the landscape.
The Grist Mill, 4373 Rte. 13, Rennie’s Road, Hunter River:
The Grist Mill (formerly Patterson Mill and Bagnall’s Mills) received designation status due to its architectural design and style, historical associations and importance to the community and province. The Patterson family, an early founding family in the community, established grist and lumber mills and a store here in the 1830s. The original sections of the current grist mill date prior to 1880 and a later addition dates from 1948. The Mill was also the site of the Hunter River Hydro Electric Company which supplied electricity to the community. The current owners have sympathetically restored the Mill.