November 2, 2009
For immediate release
Temporary Change in Physician Coverage for Out-patient Services at Tyne Valley Health Centre and Stewart Memorial Hospital for November
“Unfortunately, Dr. Joyce Madigane will be temporarily away from her practice for an indefinite period of time,” said Dr. Richard Wedge, Director of Medical Programs. “The Department of Health is supportive of Dr. Madigane’s request for temporary leave and is working with locums and physicians in West Prince to support the operations of the Tyne Valley Health Centre and Stewart Memorial Hospital.”
“It is important for us to manage our human resources in a manner that both respects staff and ensures minimal interruption of service to Islanders,” said Gayle Lamont, Administrator for Stewart Memorial Hospital . “We are committed to providing quality health care to the residents of Tyne Valley and are appreciative of the staff and physicians who continue to work together to ensure the provision of quality services.”
During the month of November, physician coverage for clinic hours at Tyne Valley Health Centre and out-patient services at Stewart Memorial Hospital will be available as follows.
Tyne Valley Health Centre
• November 1, 7, 8, 28 and 29: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Weekends – scheduled appointments and walk-in clinic)
• November 2 - 6, 10, 12, 13, 16 - 20, 23 - 27 and 30: 5 p.m. - 10 p.m. (Weekday evenings – scheduled appointments and walk-in clinic)
• November 23 - December 3: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Weekdays – scheduled appointments and walk-in clinic)
• No Clinic on November 9, 11, 14, 15, 21, 22.
Stewart Memorial Hospital – Out-patient services
• Out-patient services will coincide with the Tyne Valley Health Centre operations to ensure physician availability.
• The Out-patient Department will be offering some additional hours for walk-in services to the public.
• Full in-patient coverage for the month of November remains uninterrupted.
Copies of the schedule outlining the temporary change to physician coverage for Tyne Valley Health Centre and Stewart Memorial Hospital will be available at the health centre and at Murphy’s Pharmacy in Tyne Valley.
The general public should note that there will be no physician coverage for the walk-in clinic at Tyne Valley Health Centre or for out-patient services at Stewart Memorial Hospital on November 9 and 11 only. Persons requiring non-urgent care are encouraged to seek services at the walk-in clinic at the Superstore in Summerside (Monday - Saturday).The Urgent Care Centre at Community Hospital in O’Leary has been designated a flu assessment site and is only seeing those individuals with influenza-like illness.
Emergency services in West Prince will remain fully operational and the public should continue to seek services especially in critical, emergency situations through the Western Hospital in Alberton or the Prince County Hospital in Summerside.
The Department of Health and physicians and staff of Stewart Memorial Hospital and Tyne Valley Health Centre are committed to providing quality health care to the residents of Tyne Valley area and regret any inconvenience this may cause.