Skip to Main Content

Web Archive

print small medium large 

aussi disponible en français
October 4, 2012
For immediate release

Students and staff will benefit from an expansion at École François-Buote/Carrefour de l’Isle-Saint-Jean

Education and Early Childhood Development

Available Photos

View details and

French language education and culture in Prince Edward Island continues to thrive with the expansion of l’École François-Buote and the Carrefour de l’Isle-Saint-Jean, says Premier Robert Ghiz.

“This is a significant investment for the Francophone community and French language education in Prince Edward Island,” said Premier Ghiz. “The planning committee, staff and students have done an excellent job of planning the new expansion and community spaces, which will foster a greater connection to the Acadian and Francophone language and culture.”

“The provincial government is pleased to see this community growing and prospering and attracting new families,” said Minister McIsaac. “We are pleased to invest in trades technology and space to build a stronger education system for all.”

École François-Buote and the Carrefour de l’Isle-Saint-Jean was originally constructed in 1990 and accommodated 150 students. Since then, the student population has increased to more than 300.

The expansion will include two phases. The first phase will include a 15,000 square-foot addition and over 6,000 square feet of renovated space. It includes two new classrooms and a trades technology section for technical education, carpentry, motor vehicle repair and welding. The community center will benefit from new and renovated space for the Early Years Centre, the Before and After School program, community offices and meeting rooms, as well as improvements to kitchen storage and the lounge area.

“I would like to thank La Commission scolaire de langue française and le Conseil communautaire du Carrefour de l’Isle-Saint-Jean, local representatives and the planning committee for working together to move this project forward for the benefit of all students and staff and the community,” said Minister McIsaac. “As students in the area grow and learn in a safe and healthy environment, they will be better prepared to move on to the next level in education and life.”

Construction for the first phase of the expansion started in the Spring and is expected to be complete by early 2013. The first phase is expected to cost approximately $3.9 million which will be cost shared between the Government of Canada, through the Department of Canadian Heritage, and the Government of Prince Edward Island. Concept planning for Phase two is currently underway with the planning committee.

Media Contact: Laura Steeves
back to top