aussi disponible en français
March 20, 2014
For immediate release
Youth and seniors alike gain valuable business information from local entrepreneurs
Entrepreneurship is available to anyone – are you interested?
Active Communities Inc. (ACI) is calling on seniors (55+) in Eastern PEI that have an interest in exploring the idea of entrepreneurship. ACI, a not-for-profit group, is a regional economic development organization mandated to facilitate business growth in the eastern region of the Island. With support from the federal and provincial governments, ACI has coordinated Entrepreneur Forums to raise awareness of this career option and its benefits.
ACI recently hosted a Youth Entrepreneur Forum in Montague and received positive feedback from its exit survey. The organization is now calling on the 55+ age category to register for the upcoming Seniors Forum to be held on Monday, March 24 in Montague, at Lane’s Riverhouse Inn.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, contributed $17,808 to Active Communities Inc. for the organization to carry out the entrepreneurship forums.
• The Government of Prince Edward Island contributed $7,440 from the Department of Innovation and Advanced Learning, through Innovation PEI.
• Active Communities Inc. is also one of 41 Community Business Development Corporations (CBDCs) in Atlantic Canada.
• “Entrepreneur Forums provide a wonderful opportunity for anyone seeking information about this career choice. Whether you are at the beginning of your career or looking for a career change, entrepreneurship offers many benefits. Our Government understands that entrepreneurs are the backbone of our economy, and I am pleased to announce our Government’s support for Active Communities Inc. to coordinate these events and help foster an entrepreneurial attitude among local residents.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
• “Entrepreneurship is something many Islanders may want to explore. By encouraging Islanders to consider entrepreneurship, we will unlock the potential of our residents in many of our communities. I am confident many of our seniors and young people will find they have the skills and drive needed to succeed as business people.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning
• “The youth forum was an excellent opportunity for our business-minded young people to hear the stories of business successes in eastern PEI, and also introduce them to the people and programs that are there to assist them when they are ready. We are pleased to already have a few of those participants come to see us for additional information. Sometimes all one needs is a nudge, and to know they are not alone. We anticipate similar success with our upcoming Seniors Forum.”
- Ms. Martina MacDonald, Executive Director, Active Communities Inc.