aussi disponible en français
April 4, 2014
For immediate release
Transportation West receives new accessible buses thanks to Federal Gas Tax Fund
Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
View details and
Officials gathered today to announce the delivery of two new buses to Transportation West. Thanks to federal investments, the new twelve-passenger, wheelchair-accessible vehicles will help expand this vital accessible transit service for Islanders and visitors across Prince Edward Island.
Transportation West relies on a small fleet of buses and a dedicated team of drivers to provide accessible transportation to persons with limited mobility year round. This investment will enable them to transport more clients from West Prince to Charlottetown and Summerside.
The addition of these vehicles will help support Transportation West’s pledge to offer affordable and reliable transportation, allowing those in need to access important opportunities in education, employment, health care, housing, and community life.
• The Government of Canada is contributing $132,359 through the federal Gas Tax Fund transfer to this project.
• To date, Islanders have benefited from $97.5 million provided to Prince Edward Island through the federal Gas Tax Fund.
“We are proud to invest in accessible transit service on the Island and support significant infrastructure projects, such as this one, that help create jobs and build strong, prosperous communities across Canada. These new buses will bring better service to residents throughout PEI, offer a better quality of life and provide new opportunities for those who depend on public transit to get around.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and Member of Parliament for Egmont
“The provincial government is pleased to work with our federal and community partners to strengthen Island communities by making safe, accessible transportation services available for those who need them.”
- The Honourable Robert Vessey, Prince Edward Island Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
“Demand for our services is increasing, and this crucial investment will help us meet our commitments to our customers even if one of our vehicles is unavailable.”
- Gordon Bush, Manager, Transportation West
• To see previous announcement on Transportation West new buses.
• to learn more about the Federal Gas Tax Fund.
• For more on the Prince Edward Island Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal.
• For additional information about federal investments in infrastructure in your region.
• For additional information on the New Building Canada Plan.
• To learn more about the Government of Canada's focus on jobs and the economy consult Canada’s Economic Action Plan.