aussi disponible en français
April 24, 2014
For immediate release
Author visit planned to celebrate TD Children’s Book Week
Tourism and Culture
The province’s Public Library Service will host noted children’s author Beverly Brenna for three public presentations during TD Children’s Book Week in an effort to promote a love of books and reading, says Minister of Tourism and Culture Robert Henderson.
“By instilling a love of reading in the early years we are helping develop the minds of tomorrow and potentially inspiring a few future authors,” said Minister Henderson. “The author tour planned for this year’s TD Children’s Book Week gives Island youth an opportunity to meet a real life author and hear that author tell her story in her own voice. It’s a great way to promote a love of books and to encourage parents to take an active role in their children’s reading habits.”
Children’s Book Week runs May 3 to 10. It is the largest celebration of Canadian children’s books. As part of Children’s Book Week, authors, illustrators and storytellers will visit schools and libraries across the country to share their books with children and adults.
Saskatchewan author Beverley Brenna has authored 10 books. Her newest book is The Bug House Family Restaurant. Her book The White Bicycle was a 2013 Printz Honor title. She will visit three public libraries and seven local schools during her visit to the Island.
The times and locations of the public readings are as follows:
• Monday, May 5, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., Confederation Centre Public Library, Children’s Library
• Monday, May 5, 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m., Murray River Leona Giddings Memorial Library
• Wednesday, May 7, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m., Tignish Public Library
Readings will also take place at seven Island schools, but they are not open to the public:
• Monday, May 5, 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., West Kent Elementary School
• Tuesday, May 6, 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., Montague Consolidated School
• Wednesday, May 7, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Hernewood Junior High
• Wednesday, May 7, 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., John J. Sark Memorial School
• Thursday, May 8, 10:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m., Somerset Elementary School
• Friday, May 9, 10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m., Souris Consolidated School
• Friday, May 9, 1:50 p.m. - 2:50 p.m., Morell Regional High School