aussi disponible en français
May 15, 2014
For immediate release
Island-wide project engages industry, community organizations and government to advance economic development in PEI
The business community and its leaders across Prince Edward Island have a vested interest in solid and strategic plans for a prosperous economy. Today, Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and PEI Innovation and Advanced Learning Minister Allen Roach announced support for the Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce to coordinate and assist in the delivery of a project focused on improved economic development in Prince Edward Island.
This Island-wide initiative will unfold over the course of the year and will capture priority areas identified by the Island Advance Task Force. The Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce will undertake a number of activities under three pillars: Embracing Entrepreneurship; Improving Access to Capital; and Attracting, Integrating and Retaining Skilled and Entrepreneurial Immigrants.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, is supporting the Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce through a $120,911 investment to implement this project.
• The Government of Prince Edward Island will contribute a grant of $45,354 from Innovation PEI.
• The Island Advance Task Force was formed following a 2012 Business Forum called, “PEI’s Economic Future – Looking Ahead.” The initial findings from this forum recognized the immediate need to establish a committee comprised of business, education and government leaders.
“Our Government continues to support the efforts of businesses and organizations committed to economic growth in Canada. Momentum and leadership are key components to such advancements, and I am pleased to announce our Government’s support for this project that will advance economic development across the Island.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of state (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“The government of Prince Edward Island recognizes Islanders have great skills and a drive for entrepreneurship; there is tremendous economic potential in communities right across the Island. I am confident this initiative will unlock the potential of Islanders and newcomers who want to contribute to our community.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning
“We are very pleased that our public sector partners have lent their support to the Island Advance Task Force Project,” commented Ron Keefe, Chair of the Island Advance Advisory Committee. “We encourage the private sector to take the lead and implement the action plan in order to further our Prince Edward Island economy.”
- Mr. Ron Keefe, Chair of the Island Advance Task Force