aussi disponible en français
October 1, 2014
For immediate release
7th Annual Showcase PEI 2014 creates export opportunities for local artists
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning Allen Roach announced combined funding of $75,000 for Music PEI to help local artists enter the global marketplace.
Music PEI is implementing their 2014 – 2015 Export Development Plan which will expose Island artists to international buyers here in Canada and in international markets. The organization is also hosting the 7th Annual Showcase PEI 2014 from October 1 – 5, 2014, showcasing the talents of Island artists and facilitating meetings with international music delegates to create new business opportunities in foreign markets.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, provided funding of $35,000 to support the development of the organization’s 2014-2015 Export Development Plan and Showcase PEI 2014. The Government of Prince Edward Island, through the Department of Innovation and Advanced Learning, provided an additional $40,000 to this initiative.
• Music PEI was founded in 2002 as the Prince Edward Island Music Awards Association, and is a non-profit member services organization devoted to advancing careers of Island musicians.
• Since 2008, Showcase PEI has successfully created over $1,000,000 in work for Music PEI members and attracted over 160 delegates from 10 countries to Prince Edward Island to see showcase performances from the Island’s top artists. These delegates have included some of the most influential and important buyers in the music industry, including most of the major folk festivals in Canada and many from the United Kingdom as well as agents, labels, music supervisors, and more.
“Our Government is pleased to support our talented musicians through Music PEI’s various initiatives, including the 7th Annual Showcase PEI 2014. Our funding will help Music PEI showcase our region’s rich musical heritage and encourage local musicians to become more competitive in the global marketplace.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Music PEI has been a great promoter of Island music and is a valuable partner in helping Prince Edward Island reach out to the world through the talent of its musicians. This showcase will further that work by letting even more international export markets learn about talented Islanders – and about Prince Edward Island itself.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning
“Showcase PEI has created an international reputation as a result of our great and diverse music, our beautiful and unique home of PEI and the overall delegate experience. Recent growth in PEI’s music industry has resulted in our artists travelling the world, playing on some of the most important international stages and spreading the word of the fantastic talent here on Prince Edward Island. ACOA and Innovation PEI’s investment is a key factor in this growth.”
- Mr. Rob Oakie, Executive Director, Music PEI