October 14, 2014
For immediate release
PEI Shellfish Association helps Island fishers remain competitive in the marketplace
Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
View details and
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and PEI Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development Ron MacKinley today announced combined funding of $182,708 for the PEI Shellfish Association Limited.
The PEI Shellfish Association Limited will undertake upgrades at the Ellerslie Shellfish Station, including purchasing new oyster cages to raise juvenile oysters to enhance the public fishery and renovating several existing buildings used for their shellfish development program. These upgrades will help the Association and Prince Edward Island fishers remain in line with current technology being used in the Atlantic Canadian oyster industry, allowing their product to remain competitive in the marketplace.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Innovative Communities Fund, provided funding of $103,171 to help the Association with this project. The Government of Prince Edward Island, through the Department of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development’s Island Community Fund, provided an additional $79,537.
• The PEI Shellfish Association’s main goal is to enhance public shellfish beds. The Association works to develop and support the shellfish industry and to protect the interests of Prince Edward Island’s oyster, clam and quahaug fisheries.
• The Prince Edward Island oyster industry has two seasons, spring and fall. The industry employs approximately 1,300 people each year.
“Our Government understands that by supporting our primary sectors we are strengthening our local economies. Today’s investment in PEI Shellfish Association Limited is a prime example of how our Government is working to help rural communities sustain industries and achieve long-term prosperity.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“My department has had a long history of supporting the oyster fishery in this province and I am pleased to see these additional investments in infrastructure at the Ellerslie Shellfish Station that will support future development for the sector.”
- The Honourable Ron MacKinley, PEI Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
“Our Association is appreciative of our funding partners’ support for our endeavours to provide a facility that contributes positively to the local community and our role to support PEI’s public fishers.”
- Ms. Brenda Campbell, President, PEI Shellfish Association Limited