aussi disponible en français
October 15, 2014
For immediate release
Annand Clams ready to dig into business
View details and
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning Allen Roach announced combined funding of $250,000 for Annand Clams to open a new facility to produce value-added bar clam products.
Annand Clams is purchasing equipment for their new facility, which will allow them to create value-added product lines to meet a growing demand for bar clams. This facility will be the only bar clam processing facility in Atlantic Canada, and will give fishers a secure market to sell their products.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, provided funding of $45,000 to help the company purchase the equipment. The Government of Prince Edward Island provided an additional $220,000 through Innovation PEI ($15,000) and Finance PEI ($205,000).
• Annand Clams currently sells four value-added products including fresh frozen clams, clams on the half-shell, deep fried bar clams and bar clam tarts. The company also plans to introduce a new product, bottled bar clams, in the near future.
• Bar clams are harvested on Prince Edward Island from April to December every year, and are typically shucked and canned or bottled for use in commercial clam chowders, clam strips, and stews.
“Our Government remains focused on jobs, growth, and long-term prosperity, and we recognize that supporting small and medium-sized businesses in rural areas makes a significant economic impact in our region. This investment will help Annand Clams enter new markets and will strengthen our local economy.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“With long careers in the fishery and processing, the Annand family is perfectly positioned to develop the commercial potential of Prince Edward Island’s shellfish resources. Our government is pleased to help this company expand and create employment and opportunities for Islanders.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning
“This expansion would not have been possible without this assistance from the federal and provincial governments. By growing our business and expanding our products lines, we are able to provide a stable market for local fishers and employment for local workers.”
- David and Carla Annand, Co-Owners, Annand Clams