aussi disponible en français
March 4, 2015
For immediate release
Federal and provincial governments support the establishment of the Canadian Centre of Public Safety Excellence
Innovation and Advanced Learning
Holland College’s Atlantic Police Academy and the Slemon Park Corporation have partnered to establish the Canadian Centre of Public Safety Excellence, thanks in part to support from the federal and provincial governments. This new partnership leverages the strengths and capabilities of both organizations and will allow them to better respond to the evolving needs of the public safety and law enforcement community.
Today, dignitaries gathered to announce funding for Holland College to begin developing comprehensive marketing plans that will be implemented over the next three years. The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (ACOA), and the Honourable Wade MacLauchlan, Premier of Prince Edward Island, joined representatives from Holland College, the Atlantic Police Academy and the Slemon Park Corporation to outline the details of this initiative.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, is providing a $346,810 contribution to Holland College for marketing activities and training equipment to support the Centre.
• The Province of Prince Edward Island will contribute $99,500 over three years towards this project with funding coming from the Department of Innovation and Advanced Learning.
• Holland College provides a broad range of strategic and technical-based training through program-focused centres. The Atlantic Police Academy was founded in 1971 and has been a sustained model of Police and Public Safety Training in Atlantic Canada.
• The Slemon Park Corporation owns and manages the assets of the Slemon Park aerospace business park. The corporation is governed by a six member board of directors.
• The new Canadian Centre of Public Safety Excellence will be created out of a shared vision between Holland College and the Slemon Park Corporation to move training options beyond the traditional police recruiting and training to an expanded range of public safety training that will be marketed nationally and internationally.
“The safety of Canadians is a top priority for our Government, and we continue to support important work to keep our streets and communities safe. I am pleased to announce our support for Holland College as the institution strategically partners with the Slemon Park Corporation, aligning resources in order to support the changing demands for public safety services and training.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Public safety is one of the most important resources to make a community prosper; where people feel safe to live and raise a family and businesses can be successful. This new Canadian Centre of Public Safety Excellence is a great example of collaboration, and will provide an essential service for many agencies and organizations.”
- The Honourable Wade MacLauchlan, Premier of Prince Edward Island
“Today's announcement of funding for the Canadian Centre of Public Safety Excellence is very timely. The essence of this transformation is the fundamental belief that when it comes to keeping our communities safe, all governments and their agencies need to partner on effective and efficient approaches to training. APA is fast becoming a leader in finding collaborative solutions. We are thankful for theý generous funding from our government partners."
- Mr. Edgar A. MacLeod, Executive Director, Atlantic Police Academy
“The Atlantic Police Academy has been our major training partner at Slemon Park since 1993. We are very appreciative of the federal and provincial government support for this initiative, and look forward to working with Holland College to promote the full range of public safety programming and facilities of the new Canadian Centre of Public Safety Excellence.”
- Mr. Shawn McCarvill, President, Slemon Park Corporation