aussi disponible en français
January 17, 2014
For immediate release
W.P. Griffin Inc. to access new markets
Company receives funding to purchase new equipment and become more competitive in the global market.
Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea and PEI Tourism and Culture Minister Robert Henderson were in Elmsdale today to announce a combined investment of $372,490 for W.P. Griffin Inc. to help them purchase new state-of-the-art weighing and bagging equipment.
A second project, funded through the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), will help the company with the resources needed to market their newly developed specialty potato products to retailers across Canada.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA, is investing a total of $323,490 in both projects. The Government of Prince Edward Island, through the Department of Innovation and Advanced Learning, and the Department of Agriculture and Forestry’s Growing Forward 2 Program, is investing a total of $49,000 towards the purchase of new equipment.
• The new state-of-the-art equipment will give W.P. Griffin the capabilities required to market their product in the global marketplace and expand their export opportunities.
• W.P. Griffin has agreements with Walmart Canada and Sobeys Inc., two of the largest domestic retail chains in Canada, to market their new specialty potato products.
“W.P Griffin Inc. continues to strive to be a leading innovator in developing new value-added products, opening new markets and employing leading edge technology. Our Government remains committed to making key investments in innovation that support the primary sectors. We are also helping by opening new markets such as with our trade agreement with the EU that will largely benefit our PEI agriculture and food sectors.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Prince Edward Island farmers have earned a reputation for delivering high-quality potatoes to markets around the world. Investing in new technology will help our industry to stay competitive and allow farmers to increase productivity. The Government of Prince Edward Island is pleased to partner with the agricultural industry to create jobs and encourage economic development in rural communities.”
- The Honourable Robert Henderson, PEI Minister of Tourism and Culture
“Thanks to both levels of government, this funding will assist our company enter new markets in the potato industry. Our new state-of-the-art equipment is helping us sell our specialty products to some of the largest retail chains in Canada and allowing us to evolve in the industry which helps us remain current.
- Mr. John Griffin, President of W.P. Griffin