aussi disponible en français
May 5, 2014
For immediate release
Island companies to showcase PEI at Seafood Expo Processing Trade Fair in Belgium
PEI delegates will attend the Seafood Expo and Seafood Processing Global to help grow the region’s export capabilities.
Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and PEI Innovation and Advanced Learning Minister Allen Roach are pleased to announce that a delegation of Prince Edward Island-based entrepreneurs are travelling to Brussels, Belgium for the Seafood Expo Global and Seafood Processing Global trade fair to help expand their trade and export capabilities in various European countries.
The Seafood Expo Global and Seafood Processing Global is the world’s largest seafood trade fair and takes place from May 6 to 8, 2014. Four companies from Prince Edward Island will be in attendance including Royal Star Fisheries, Raspberry Point Oysters, Atlantic Aqua Farms and Holland College Canada’s Smartest Kitchen. During this three-day trade fair, each company will meet with companies in the European region to explore potential exporting and business opportunities.
• An Atlantic Canada Night will be held on May 5, 2014 to highlight Atlantic Canada’s food and cuisine. Chefs from Holland College’s Canada’s Smartest Kitchen will prepare Atlantic Canadian dishes using seafood and agri-food products from this region.
• The introduction of the Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) and reduced tariffs in the European market is important to exporters and this seafood fair gives Prince Edward Island entrepreneurs the opportunity to expand their business in this emerging market.
• Trade Team PEI, led by ACOA PEI and Innovation PEI, plays a key role in planning activities and delivering programs that are designed to help small and medium-sized businesses effectively compete as exporters.
• Trade Team PEI is a partnership network of federal and provincial government agencies and departments committed to helping PEI-based trade and export-focused businesses succeed in their pursuit of new global development opportunities.
“Our Government understands the importance trade plays in strengthening the economy of Atlantic Canada, with the signing of the Canada - European Trade Agreement, Atlantic Canadians will have increase opportunity in Europe. It is through key investments and trade missions, like this seafood-based mission to Brussels, that we can help small and medium-sized businesses expand their export capabilities and secure long-term prosperity.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Europe is one of the world’s largest marketplaces and the perfect place in which to showcase Prince Edward Island’s excellent seafood. I know our seafood producers and processors will make the most of this opportunity to find clients and forge partnerships.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning