aussi disponible en français
September 9, 2014
For immediate release
Trade Team PEI hosts Annual Export Day
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and PEI Innovation and Advanced Learning Minister Allen Roach today hosted the annual Trade Team PEI Export Day for Island-based companies.
The all-day event allows small and medium-sized Island businesses to come together to learn how Trade Team PEI can help expand their trade and export capabilities and seize current and pending opportunities in the global marketplace.
• Trade Team PEI’s annual Export Day focuses on highlighting the opportunities Island-based businesses have in trade and export and will hear from international experts on how to succeed in various global markets.
• The day will include a panel discussion on the theme “Spanning into Europe: Opportunities for Prince Edward Island Businesses,” trade-show and networking activities, concurrent business sessions focused on international trade, and the announcement of the 2014 – 2015 TTPEI trade activities and programs. Mr. Peter Hall, VP and Chief Economist with Export Development Canada, will deliver the Export Day keynote address on the Canadian and Global economies.
• The 2014 Exporter of the Year Awards were presented during the day’s luncheon. Aspin Kemp and Associates were awarded Trade Team PEI’s Existing Market Award and Study Abroad Canada Language Institute were awarded the Trade Team PEI New Market Award.
• Trade Team PEI, led by ACOA PEI and Innovation PEI, plays a key role in planning activities and delivering programs that are designed to help small and medium-sized businesses effectively compete as exporters. The organization is a partnership network of federal and provincial government agencies and departments committed to helping PEI-based trade and export-focused businesses succeed in their pursuit of new global development opportunities.
• Prince Edward Island exported over $870 million in goods and services to the world in 2012, an increase of over 15% since the previous year. The United States was Prince Edward Island’s largest export market, accounting for over two thirds of the value of all exports.
“Our Government understands the importance of trade in strengthening the economy in Atlantic Canada and we are pleased to support small and medium-sized businesses as they expand their trade capabilities. Through initiatives such as the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) and the Canada-Korea Free Trade Agreement, our Government is creating new opportunities for Canadian companies to enter and succeed in international markets.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“In today’s economic climate, maintaining and expanding Prince Edward Island’s presence in global markets is more important than ever. The United States remains the Island’s most important export market, while European Union, our province’s second largest trading partner, and the expanding Asian markets hold great potential for growth. I am confident that many Island companies will find clients and partnerships by learning more about export opportunities.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning