aussi disponible en français
November 19, 2014
For immediate release
Federal and provincial support enhancing Indian River Festival experience
Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and the Honourable Ron MacKinley, PEI Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development, today announced combined funding of $399,175 for the Indian River Festival Association. Funding will allow the Association to undertake necessary enhancements to their facility in Indian River and construct a new pavilion to better accommodate festival attendees.
The Indian River Festival Association operates an annual summer-long event presenting fine musical performances of classical, jazz, choral, maritime, francophone, and international music in the unique setting of St. Mary’s Church in Indian River, PEI. The festival is highly regarded by music lovers and won Music PEI’s 2013 Award for Achievement in Classical Music.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Innovative Communities Fund, provided funding of $299,175 to help with the upgrades. The Government of Prince Edward Island, through the Department of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development’s Island Community Fund, will provide an initial contribution of $100,000 for this project.
• The upgrades to the facility include improvements to the washrooms, flooring and electrical, as well as the construction of an outdoor pavilion to accommodate spin-off events.
• The Association purchased the decommissioned St. Mary’s Church in 2010.The church’s unique setting and acoustics have helped to make the Indian River Festival one of the best music festivals in the nation.
“The Indian River Festival represents an important cultural tourism asset in Prince Edward Island. I am pleased to announce our Government’s investment which will help the Association make necessary upgrades to its facility to help attract more visitors and provide a more enjoyable experience for their patrons.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“The Indian River Festival is a renowned musical event attracting musicians and concert goers from around the world to Prince Edward Island which has a positive impact on local business and our rural economy. The Province of Prince Edward Island is pleased to support the continued growth of the Indian River Music Festival.”
- The Honourable Ron MacKinley, PEI Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
“This is a very exciting time for Indian River Festival. It has long been our dream to improve the concert experience for both our patrons and guest performers. By renovating the annex of St. Mary's and replacing the tent with a permanent pavilion, we will not only achieve our dream, but also provide an attractive venue for use by the local community. On behalf of the Board of Indian River Festival, I would like to offer our heartfelt appreciation for the financial support provided by ACOA and the Government of Prince Edward Island.”
- Ms. Patricia Hobbs, Chair, Indian River Festival Association