aussi disponible en français
December 18, 2014
For immediate release
Aerospace and Defence Association of PEI coordinates go-forward approach for growing sector
View details and
Prince Edward Island is home to a fast-growing aerospace sector that is among the province’s leading industries. Along with the evolution and growth of this sector, there has been a growing need for a collaborative and targeted approach to growth and development. Since 2005, the Aerospace and Defence Association of PEI (ADAPEI) has been working with members and industry stakeholders to increase awareness and advance this significant industry.
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans; the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency); and the Honourable Allen Roach, PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning today announced support for ADAPEI for its efforts to undertake an enhanced work plan to focus on human resource development, business development and supplier development activities.
A large portion of this cluster is located in Slemon Park and the greater Summerside area. In recent years, the industry’s growth has led to the establishment of facilities throughout Central and Eastern parts of the province. The sector in PEI is comprised primarily of companies serving commercial aviation markets in the manufacturing and MRO (maintenance, repair & overhaul) segments.
• The Government of Canada is supporting this project with a contribution of $103,600 through ACOA’s Business Development Program.
• The Government of Prince Edward Island will be contributing $103,600 to the project through its Department of Innovation and Advanced Learning. Skills PEI will also contribute $114,000.
• For nearly a decade, ADAPEI has been supporting the growth and development of aerospace and defence on PEI through the implementation of sector-focused development initiatives.
• The Association also works with local companies to create opportunities in the defence sector which includes the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy.
• The organization is governed by a six-member board of directors and employs three full-time staff. By supporting its members, the Association continues to contribute to the sustainable economic development of aerospace and defence in the province.
“Our Government is pleased to support the aerospace and defence sector as it continues to grow and contribute to the PEI economy. Our skilled workers are seeking secure, well-paying careers, and this sector is delivering.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency).
“Our government’s support for innovative economic sectors such as the Aerospace and Defence industry has helped our economy to grow and to create Prince Edward Island’s highest ever level of employment and earnings. The Aerospace and Defence Association of PEI has been a very valuable partner in helping us encourage growth of this exciting sector.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning
“As an Association, we are committed to working with our members to undertake development initiatives in the areas of human resources, business and supply chain. The assistance provided by both the federal and provincial governments helps us to accelerate initiatives in these areas and, for that, we are extremely appreciative of the support.”
- Eric Richard, President, Aerospace & Defense Association of PEI