Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on creator of the collection
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1873-1979, predominent 1942-1979 (Creation)
- Green, Alice C.
Physical description area
1 reel of 35 mm microfilm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Alice C. Green was born in 1908 to George Campbell Gordon and Lucy A. Hunter. She had one brother named John. The family lived in Huntley, two miles from Alberton, Prince Edward Island. George died in 1916, leaving Lucy to raise their two children and run the family farm. She sold the property in 1926 and moved with Alice and John to Alberton.
Alice graduated from the Prince County Hospital School of Nursing in 1931. She worked as a private nurse for a few years before returning to high school for one year to upgrade from Grade 10 to Grade 12. After deciding to enter missionary work, Alice spent a year in Toronto at the United Church Training School. Her first appointment was in Ethelbert, Manitoba where she served on staff at a small mission hospital working with young people in the Ukrainian Canadian community. Her next appointment was in Gypsumville, about 160 miles north of Winnipeg. During her two years at Gypsumville, Alice was in charge of a nursing hospital located fifty-six miles from a doctor and seventy miles from a hospital. In addition to her work as a nurse, Alice kept house, conducted church and funeral services, sometimes performed the duties of an undertaker, visited people's homes, participated in community activities, and kept up correspondence with the men and women from the Gypsumville community who were in the Armed Services during World War II.
When her mother fell ill, Alice left her post at Gypsumville to return home to PEI. Lucy recovered but lost her sight as a result of her illness and Alice remained in Alberton to care for her. On 26 August 1948, Alice married Arthur C. Green, a tailor and coal dealer in Alberton. This was Arthur's second marriage and Alice gained three stepchildren: Alvah, Charles T., and Arthur F.
Arthur's health began to fail shortly after his marriage to Alice. Alice helped him with this coal business until his death in 1959, at which point she took over running the business. She continued to deal in coal until 1967. In early 1968 she returned to nursing, working as a supervisor at the Maplewood Manor.
Alice was an active member of her church and community. She was the first woman elected to the Session of Alberton Congregation of the United Church of Canada and served as clerk for at least sixteen year. She was president of the Women's Missionary Society (WMS) for ten years and was also an active member of the United Church Women organization. She served as a voluntary part-time secretary for the Pastoral Charge. Alice also represented the Alberton congregation a the Presbytery and Conference and served as Statistical Secretary for the PEI Presbytery.
Alice was an active member of the Alberton Women's Institute and Red Cross Society. She severed as president of the Women's Institute in 1948-1950, 1955-1957, 1967-1970, and 1975-1977. She acted as secretary from 1962-1964 and associate secretary, 1970-1971. Alice and Olive Wilkie also compiled a history of the Alberton Women's Institute entitled "Alberton Women's Institute: The First Fifty Years, 1927-1977". In 1949, Alice was appointed Red Cross Convenor, a post she held continually for almost twenty years. In 1953, "Mrs. Red Cross," as she was called, initiated the Red Cross Swimming and Safety Classes, sponsored by the Alberton Women's Institute. Alice was a key player in establishing the Red Cross Blood Drive Clinic, the Mobile X-ray Clinic, and the Load Cupboard in the Alberton area. In 1954 the Red Cross Disaster Service was organized in Alberton and Alice acted as chairman for a number of years. She was also president of the Alberton branch of the Association of Retarded Children.
In addition to her many volunteer activities, Alice distinguished herself as a local writer and historian. In 1950 she began working as a Guardian correspondent. In 1974 she published "A Historical Sketch of the Prince County Exhibition at Alberton." She was also the main author of "Footprints on the Sands of Time: A History of Alberton" (1980).
Alice died 28 September 1980 at the West Hospital in Alberton, just months after finishing her "History of Alberton."
Scope and content
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The microfilmed scrapbooks (Acc3221/1) are located in the microfilm cabinets in the Reading Room
Sheet music from Acc3221/23 is located in the oversize stacks
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Green, Alice C. (Creator)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Level of detail
Language of description