Series s8 - Bedeque Power Company

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bedeque Power Company

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of the series

Level of description


Reference code

CA PCA Acc4707-s8

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • [ca. 1949-1955], 1987 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

.02 m. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

This series contains notes documenting some of the Bedeque Power Company's financial activities including expenses, receipts, telephone calls, and purchase of equipment. A few pages relate to MacFarlane's activities as an amateur ham radio operator. It also contains a copy of a newspaper clipping from the Journal-Pioneer newspaper of 18 October 1987 outlining the history of the Bedeque Power Company.

The Bedeque Power Company was founded in June 1849 when farmers from Fernwood, Chelton, and Bedque, led by Horace Wright, Douglas MacFarlane, and Lewis Hackett, received permission from the provincial government to build a line to their communities. Effectively a co-operative the farmers would building and maintain the line with a $30,000 loan from the provincial government, purchasing power and other equipment from the Town of Summerside. Power was turned on in January 1950. Soon other areas such as Central Bedeque and farmers along the Bedeque Borden Highway applied to have the line extended. In 1954 the company had 63 customers with lines extending into Searletown and Central Bedque but was operating at a loss. In response to an application by the Company considered by the government on 19 October 1954, the Bedeque Power Company was sold to the government early in 1955 and became part of the government’s Electrification Scheme. Power thereafter was supplied by Maritime Electric Company rather than the Town of Summerside.

Notes area


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids


Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres