Subfonds sf1 - County Court of Kings County

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

County Court of Kings County

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of sous fonds

Level of description


Reference code

CA PCA RG6.3-sf1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1848-1970 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4.75 m. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Scope and content

The legislation of 1873 divided the County Court of Kings County into five circuits with sessions being held in Saint Peter's Bay, Souris East, Grand River, Georgetown, and Murray River in January, March, May, July, September, and November each year. In 1878, the July sitting of the Court was abolished. By 1880, the number of circuits was increased to six with the addition of a sitting in Dundas but was reduced to five again in 1937. Further legislation in 1940 and 1969 reduced the number of circuits to four and then two respectively. In 1974, the County Court of Kings County was reduced to one circuit before being abolished in 1975. (See legislation for more specifics of changes in location and sitting of each circuit court.)

The Judge of the County Court of Kings County appointed a chief clerk for the Court as well as an assistant clerk for each circuit. The chief clerk's office was located in Georgetown while the assistant clerks had offices in their respective districts. The duties of the chief clerk and assistant clerks included keeping minutes of court sittings and minutes of judgments; issuing, signing, sealing and filing all writs and papers; recording all causes, rules, and orders; administering oaths; keeping books registering Causes, Rules, and Orders made and other proceedings; taking charge of and keeping account of all Court fees and fines payable or paid into Court and making a return to the Provincial Treasurer every three months; and swearing an affidavit of validity of records. At the end of each court session, the assistant clerks forwarded all original documents to the Chief Clerk while keeping copies for themselves. The Chief Clerk was then responsible for auditing the original documents. In 1889, the Office of Chief Clerks of the County Courts were abolished and the Assistant Clerk of Georgetown assumed duties of Chief Clerk of Kings County as well as retaining his own duties. The audit of accounts of the assistant clerks was then undertaken by the clerk of the 5th circuit, Georgetown. The Judge of the County Court audited the records of the clerks of the 5th circuit.

Notes area


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids


Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres