Flows SW into Charlotteown Harbour. Named by Samuel Holland 1765 for the Earl of Hillsborough, Lord Commissioner of Trade and Plantations. Franquet 1751 riviere du Nord-Est. ; PEI Directory 1864 and commonly now East River. The name Hillsborough Bridge probably helps to maintain the official name in the Charlottetown area. Plan 1819 has Hillsborough River, with the North River and the West River for the other two. In Micmac Elsetkook, 'flowing close to high rocks.' Pacifique 1934 also notes Elsetgog and states the natives also call it Plansoe Tjpotijitj, 'Frank's brook,' for some uncommon man. Douglas 1925 has Mimtugaak, 'running straight up', but this, or Nematagag, belongs to North River.
Rayburn ; RAD23.4C2 ; Created by M. Bell, 28 February 2005. Entered into AtoM by J. Toms, 17 November 2014.