Fonds Acc3253 - Margate Pastoral Charge of the United Church fonds : [1778-1967]

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Margate Pastoral Charge of the United Church fonds : [1778-1967]

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

CA PCA Acc3253

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • Microfilmed 1984 (Creation)
    Margate Pastoral Charge of the United Church

Physical description area

Physical description

2 reels of 35 mm microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Margate Pastoral Charge of the United Church

Biographical history

Margate, Prince Edward Island first became head of a Methodist Circuit in 1858. Stations on the circuit were Margate, Granville, Stanley Bridge, Bowness School House, Summerside, Port Hill, Fifteen Point and Kensington. Prior to that date those congregations had been ministered to by preachers from Charlottetown and Bedeque. The earliest Methodist Church in Margate was built in 1835, rebuilt in 1863 and the current one opened in 1898. Circuits were constantly changing and in 1893 the Margate circuit was divided into two: Granville circuit including Granville, Pleasant Valley, Stanley Bridge, Hunter River and Wheatley River and Margate circuit including Margate, Irishtown, Kensington and Freetown which had been disunited from Bedeque. At the time of Union in1925 the circuit was composed of Margate, Long River and New London and became a pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada. Malpeque, formerly known as Princetown, which had been part of the Princetown - Lot 16 United pastoral charge became part of the Margate charge in 1968.

Presbyterianism had a long history in Princetown with the earliest church being built ca. 1794. In those early years the faithful were occasionally visited by travelling clergy such as Dr. MacGregor, Rev. Urquhart, and Rev. Peter Gordon. Rev. John Keir arrived in 1808 and ministered to the congregation for 50 years. His "parish" at first included all of Prince County and part of Queens. In 1819 Richmond Bay and Bedeque were disjoined and in 1825 Bedeque was made a separate circuit. In 1858 under the pastorship of Rev. Robert Laird the charge included Malpeque, Darnley, Sea View, Hamilton, the Baltic, Spring Valley, and Kensington. In 1925, the Princetown Presbyterian Church which had been built in 1870 became the Princetown United Church. Dissenting Presbyterians continued to hold services in the Malpeque Hall until 1927 when the new Keir Memorial Church was erected.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of baptisms, marriages and deaths of the Margate Pastoral Charge of the United Church and of its predecessor churches, the Methodist Church in Margate and the Presbyterian Church in Princetown. It also contains Quarterly Board minutes and membership records of the Methodist Margate circuit and a Minute book of the Princetown-Lot 16 United pastoral charge. These have been arranged in the following series:

Series 1: Margate Methodist/United Church
Series 2: Princetown Presbyterian/United Church
Series 3: Princetown-Lot 16 pastoral charge

Notes area


Arrangement on the microfilm does not reflect the original order of the records. Events of a particular type (e.g. baptisms) have been filmed in chronological sequence from more that one volume

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Originals were returned to the donor

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


Finding aids

Associated materials

Other records for Kensington can be found in Acc3797

Related materials


General note

Microfilm is located in the microfilm cabinets in the Reading Room

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Accession area