Fonds Acc4776 - Mayfield Hall fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Mayfield Hall fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

CA PCA Acc4776

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1900-1958, [2002?] (Creation)
    Mayfield Hall

Physical description area

Physical description

.03 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Mayfield Hall (1900-1965)

Biographical history

On 8 May 1900, residents of the Mayfield, Prince Edward Island area met to discuss the building of a community hall. Construction began in July of that year. The lumber for the building was bought from William Moffatt and Joseph P. Doiron was paid $94.00 to build the hall. Individuals in the community could become shareholders in the Mayfield Hall by paying $5.00 cash or by contributing $5.00 worth of labour. The Mayfield Hall Company was incorporated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1900.

Meetings of the shareholders were held annually to elect a board of directors and to discuss any necessary repairs or additions to the hall. At an annual meeting on 15 November 1902, the bylaws of the Mayfield Hall Company were approved. The bylaws indicate that the hall could be rented out for all meetings of "moral, social, or political nature, but in no case shall it be let for the purpose of holding meetings of immoral or infidel tendency." Religious groups were allowed to use the hall free of charge (a collection was to be taken in order to defray the costs of lighting and heating the building) and all other groups were charged a small fee. Over the years, various groups used the hall for their meetings, including the Farmer's Institute, Women's Temperance Union, political parties, literary societies, and a Young Peoples' group. Elections, plays, school fairs, lectures, and magic lantern shows were also held in the Mayfield Hall.

The last meeting of the Mayfield Hall shareholders and directors was held at the Shining Waters Lodge on 7 September 1965. The minutes of the previous meeting, held in 1952, were read and those present discussed selling the Mayfield Hall. At a meeting held 1 October 1965, the hall was sold to Ira Cole. There are no minutes recorded for the October meeting and the amount of the sale is unknown.

In 1899, the Cattle Act was passed, requiring all persons importing cattle into the province to have the cattle tested for Tuberculosis. Consequences for failing to abide by the laws included fines, quarantine of the cattle, and destruction of any cattle which tested positive for Tuberculosis. Between 1901 and 1922, so-called Cattle Act meetings were held annually, possibly in the Mayfield Hall, during which members of the Mayfield community appointed a Reeves to see that the rules regarding domestic animals were obeyed. According to the meeting book, the group annually set dates during which domestic animals in the area were not allowed to roam unattended.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a ledger which contains minutes (1902-1958) and accounts (1900-1958) of the Mayfield Hall Company. The minutes are primarily of annual meetings and include lists of shareholders and names of directors. The ledger also contains a few loose items, including an Assessment Roll of the Mayfield School District for the year ending 1948, Xavier Doiron's share certificate dated 9 May 1949, and the hall's fire insurance policy dated 27 January 1934. The fonds also contains a Cattle Act meeting book (1901-1922) from the Mayfield area which includes the names of Reeves appointed to enforce rules regarding domestic animals in the area. The fonds also includes a brief undated history of the Mayfield Hall and Cattle Act meetings written by Shirley Andrews.

Notes area


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


Finding aids


Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres