aussi disponible en français
March 11, 2015
For immediate release
PEI Mussel King improves efficiencies to ensure continued growth
View details and
Atlantic Canada accounts for 90 percent of all mussels sold in North America, with 80 percent of those mussels coming from Prince Edward Island. PEI Mussel King has watched the demand for this product grow and is taking advantage of these numbers to expand their operations.
PEI Mussel King has been in business for over 30 years and has found success by being innovative and adapting to changes in the industry. The company plans to purchase new equipment to add a new production line to their operations, allowing them to add new package sizes of fresh and frozen PEI mussels to their existing product line.
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and the Honourable Wade MacLauchlan, Premier of Prince Edward Island, today announced combined funding of $940,000 for PEI Mussel King to install new processing equipment to increase efficiencies and meet a growing market demand for their product.
• The Government of Canada is supporting this project with a repayable contribution of $470,000 through ACOA’s Business Development Program.
• The Government of Prince Edward Island, through Finance PEI, will lend an additional $470,000 to the project.
• PEI Mussel King exports their product throughout the world to countries such as China, Japan, Israel, Egypt, Hong Kong, Kuwait and the United States.
• The company is well-positioned to take advantage of the Government of Canada’s Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA). With reduced tariffs on Prince Edward seafood, PEI Mussel King and other Island-based seafood producers will soon have the option to expand their exporting capabilities into the European Union.
“Our Government is pleased to support PEI Mussel King as they increase productivity and expand their business in the world marketplace. It is through key contributions like this one that we are able to help grow our region’s economy and assist one of our primary sectors succeed in a rural community.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
"PEI Mussel King is a great Prince Edward Island company, a family business committed to community, innovation and business excellence," said Premier Wade MacLauchlan. "I look forward to expanded sales and exports from PEI Mussel King as a result of these new production lines."
- The Honouable Wade MacLauchlan, Premier of Prince Edward Island
“PEI Mussel King is excited about our future and for the future of the entire PEI mussel industry. Our Company has experienced continued growth in current markets and looks forward to entering into new opportunities that have been presented to us. With the support of the federal and provincial governments, we continue to improve our efficiencies and expand our markets and product lines. We are grateful to both levels of government that recognize, support, and encourage companies to develop and promote new and innovative ways to present Canadian products.”
- Ms. Esther Dockendorff, President, PEI Mussel King