aussi disponible en français
March 12, 2015
For immediate release
New Equipment Improves Efficiencies for Eastern PEI Company
Atlantic Roasted Products Inc. has its roots in the family farm. When Anthony and Anna Nabuurs ran their family hog farm they used roasted soy beans to supplement animal feed for their livestock. When they exited the industry in 2007, they established Atlantic Roasted Products Inc. and began to distribute the feed supplement to other farmers.
From these modest beginnings, the company now distributes their product across the Maritime Provinces. They have a go-forward business plan that focuses on creating additional product lines, expanding their customer base across Canada, and exploring export potential in the United States market, all of which require increased capacity and specialized equipment.
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and the Honourable Allen Roach, PEI Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning, today announced support for Atlantic Roasted Products Inc. to fulfill that plan.
• The Government of Canada is supporting this project with a $257,500 repayable contribution through ACOA’s Business Development Program.
• The Government of Prince Edward Island will contribute $10,000 through Innovation PEI’s Capital Assistance Support Program.
• Atlantic Roasted Products will acquire new equipment and upgrade its capacity. The company will continue to service its current and growing customer base and also begin exploring export markets.
• With the purchase of new equipment, Atlantic Roasted Products will be able to offer commercial scale custom roasting of soybeans primarily for sale to livestock, dairy and poultry producers.
• Soybean feed supplements have numerous benefits for livestock and provides a cost-efficient source of energy and protein.
“Our Government understands that small and medium-sized businesses must increase efficiencies to remain competitive both locally and on the international stage, and we support their efforts. I am pleased to announce our contribution to Atlantic Roasted Products as they upgrade their facilities and acquire new innovative equipment in order to drive productivity and explore export potential.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“The Government of Prince Edward Island supports businesses like Atlantic Roasted Products which find new market opportunities using our province’s strong agricultural resources. This investment will help this Island company expand its production capacity and continue to create economic activity in rural Prince Edward Island.”
- The Honourable Allen Roach, Minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning and Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
“To grow our business, we need to service our existing clients, expand our markets, and invest in innovative equipment. We are pleased with this government support that has positioned us well to move forward with increased capacity at our facility and to purchase and install the advanced equipment that will greatly improve efficiencies and quality control, and open new opportunities.”
- Anthony Nabuurs, President, Atlantic Roasted Products Inc.