Skip to Main Content

Web Archive

print small medium large 

aussi disponible en français
April 26, 2013
For immediate release

Land use task force begins consultations

Finance and Energy

The Task Force on Land Use Policy will begin public consultations next week, says Finance, Energy and Municipal Affairs Minister Wes Sheridan.

“The stewardship of our land is of vital importance to all Islanders,” said Minister Sheridan. “That is why, as a government, we are currently examining questions of land ownership and land use.”

At present, only 10 percent of land in the province is covered by an official plan. There is a patchwork of policies covering the remaining 90 percent, and that has resulted in an increasing number of land-use conflicts, loss of prime agricultural land, threats to groundwater resources, loss of scenic views and other land-use issues.

The task force is chaired by John Handrahan, Tignish. The other members are Janice Harper, Charlottetown; Carol Horne, Charlottetown; Paul Gallant, Souris West; and Marvyn Webster, Kelvin Grove. It will be hosting a series of open houses and information sessions across the province. It will also be available to hear presentations from individuals and organizations.

“I encourage all interested Islanders to share their views with the task force on this most important area of public policy,” said the minister.

Media Contact: Wayne MacKinnon
back to top