aussi disponible en français
March 21, 2014
For immediate release
Montague waterfront getting an artful new look
Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
Town of Montague will receive funding to support upgrades to the waterfront and help increase visitors to the area.
Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea and PEI Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development Minister Ron MacKinley today announced a combined investment of $320,000 towards necessary enhancements to the south side of the Montague Waterfront.
The Town of Montague will undertake initiatives to revitalize the south side of the local waterfront. This will include establishing a facility for local artisans to open a gallery and studio, developing an art trail and improving accessibility by installing a promenade along the trail in the downtown area of Montague.
This year-round artisan studio and gallery will attract up to 40 local artisans to work and sell their art collections from a central location in Montague. A public art trail will also be completed and improve the visual appeal of the downtown area through the installation of public artworks. This studio and art trail, along with strategic marketing efforts to promote the region, will allow Montague to become one of the top cultural tourism destinations on Prince Edward Island.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Innovative Communities Fund, is investing $165,000 to help with these enhancements. The Government of Prince Edward Island, through the Department of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development’s Island Community Fund and PEI 2014, is investing an additional $155,000 into this project.
• Through this revitalization of the waterfront, the Town of Montague will be able to attract more visitors to the area, build a stronger local economy and a greater sense of community pride in the region.
• The Town of Montague acts a service centre for Kings County Prince Edward Island for approximately 15,000 people in surrounding rural communities.
“Our Government understands that tourism plays a key role in helping keep rural communities vibrant and strong. We are pleased to support the Town of Montague as they improve necessary infrastructure to attract visitors to the area and become one of the top cultural destinations in Prince Edward Island.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“This funding announcement reflects the commitment of our provincial government to enhance our rural communities by supporting local business and boosting the economy by bringing more people into the region."
- The Honourable Ron MacKinley, Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
"Montague takes a major step into our future as a destination for all the world to come, visit and enjoy. Montague the Beautiful welcomes you."
- His Worship Richard Collins, Mayor of Montague
• PEI 2014