aussi disponible en français
April 24, 2014
For immediate release
PEI Fishermen’s Association hoping to cash in on halibut industry
Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
View details and
PEI Fishermen’s Association receives support to conduct research on the growing halibut industry.
Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), and PEI Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development Minister Ron MacKinley were in Summerside to announce a combined investment of $153,600 for the Prince Edward Island Fishermen’s Association (PEIFA) to conduct research on expanding the local halibut industry.
The PEIFA will begin research on Atlantic halibut by tagging healthy fish to understand whether Atlantic Halibut in the Southern Gulf are a distinct meta-population and to further understand the population size, vital life history and emigration. This knowledge will give the Prince Edward Island fishing industry a scientific basis to support decisions around management of the halibut fishery, allowing for potential growth in the industry.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, has invested $78,600 to help the PEIFA conduct this research. The Government of Prince Edward Island, through the Department of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development, through the Aquaculture, Fisheries Research Initiative, has invested $75,000 in this project.
• The PEIFA along with the local Fishermen’s Associations have contributed $33,430 and the PEI Atlantic Shrimp Corporation has made an additional investment of $49,000 into this research.
• Halibut in Atlantic Canada is one of the few fishing stocks in the Gulf of St. Lawrence that has seen growth in geography and abundance and is one of the highest valued fish landed in the region.
• This research will determine the population, migration patterns, and breeding grounds of this valuable fish. This knowledge could lead to increased profitability in the region’s fishery and improved economic sustainability for rural communities.
“The research the Prince Edward Island Fishermen’s Association is conducting will potentially grow the region’s halibut industry as well as strengthen our local economy. Our Government is committed to make key investments like this one which are helping our region’s primary sectors succeed in today’s global marketplace.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“The Province of Prince Edward Island is committed to an expanded halibut fishery in our province. We have partnered on this project to learn more about stock status in hopes that the science will support our position for more quota for Island fishers.”
- The Honourable Ron MacKinley, PEI Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
“There is a positive future in the halibut fishery, and this valuable research will enable us to collect essential information to assist in attaining a viable and sustainable fishery here on PEI.”
- Mr. Mike McGeoghegan, President, PEIFA