aussi disponible en français
July 7, 2014
For immediate release
Spinnakers’ Landing upgrades provide economic spark to popular tourism location
Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
View details and
Spinnakers’ Landing was built on the Summerside waterfront in 1990 to attract visitors to the area. The seasonal complex is a landmark in the community with its brightly coloured buildings and beautiful water view. The popular tourism gem consists of over 16,000 square feet of retail shops, dining and services, playground, and outdoor entertainment stage.
Today, the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (ACOA), and the Honourable Ron MacKinley, PEI Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development were joined by representatives from the Summerside Port Corporation Inc. to announce funding and infrastructure upgrade details.
• The Government of Canada invested $124,750 in this project through ACOA’s Business Development Program. The Government of Prince Edward Island, through the Department of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development’s Island Community Fund, has invested $62,375.
• Upgrade work at Spinnakers’ Landing will include roof improvements, relocation of buildings, boardwalk replacement, sound system upgrades, and a new lighted water fountain.
• The 2014 season will see 12 businesses operating from Spinnakers’ Landing, which operates from June to September.
“Our Government recognizes that vibrant and sustainable communities require solid infrastructure. I am pleased to announce our Government’s support for the revitalization of Spinnakers’ Landing, an important tourist attraction that generates valuable economic activity in this area.”
- The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Spinnakers’ Landing is one of the main attractions for Islanders and tourists in the Summerside area during the summer months. The Government of Prince Edward Island, through the Island Community Fund, is pleased to provide funding to enhance the area and help bring more economic activity to the community.”
- The Honourable Ron MacKinley, PEI Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
“On behalf of the Board of Directors of the Summerside Port Corporation we appreciate and want to thank both the Federal and Provincial Governments for supporting this project and demonstrating confidence in our plans to grow this icon in the heart of downtown Summerside. This is an exciting development which will help strengthen the sustainability of Spinnakers’ and we are confident will lead to more development in the near future.”
- Mr. Arnold Croken, President, Summerside Port Corporation