aussi disponible en français
July 28, 2014
For immediate release
Raspberry Point Oyster Co. expands to meet international demand
Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
View details and
Mr. Robert Goguen, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Member of Parliament for Moncton - Riverview - Dieppe, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and PEI Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development Minister Ron MacKinley today announced a combined investment of $205,000 for Raspberry Point Oyster Co.
With this assistance, Raspberry Point Oyster Co. is purchasing new oyster grading and aquaculture equipment to expand their current operation, improve efficiencies and productivity, and meet growing market demand for their product. With this new technology, the company is able to reduce costs and increase trade capabilities in markets such as North America, Europe and Asia.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, provided a repayable contribution of $195,000 to help with the expansion. The Government of Prince Edward Island has invested an additional $10,000 through the Department of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development’s Aquaculture Technology Program.
• In 2013 Raspberry Point Oyster Co. sold over 4.5 million oysters and through this expansion it is expected that the company will increase sales by an addition million oysters.
• Raspberry Point Oyster Co. has over 20 years’ experience harvesting oysters and offer clients over six brands of oysters: Raspberry Point, Daisy Bay, Pickle Point, Lucky Limes, Shiny Sea and Irish Point.
“Raspberry Point Oyster Co. has been selling oysters in the global marketplace for twenty years and is increasingly finding success in new international markets. Our Government is pleased to invest in their growth. Investments like this one help small and medium-sized businesses expand, which strengthens our economy and helps to achieve long-term prosperity.”
- Robert Goguen, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Member of Parliament for Moncton – Riverview – Dieppe, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Prince Edward Island continues to be recognized around the world for our high quality seafood products, including oysters. These investments will ensure Raspberry Point Oysters Co. is able to expand its presence in the national and international marketplace and support the Island oyster industry.”
- The Honourable Ron MacKinley, PEI Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development
"We are very grateful for the contributions made by both levels of government. This equipment will allow us to increase the product we export to various international markets and give our clients a great Island-based product."
- Mr. James Power, General Manager, Raspberry Point Oyster Co.