Fonds Acc4190 - Hillsborough Bridge (1902) construction fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Hillsborough Bridge (1902) construction fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

CA PCA Acc4190

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1901-1903 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

35 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Provenance is unknown.

Custodial history

It is likely that these photographs are part of the collection of Charles Arthur Farquharson, one of the engineers on the construction of the bridge, as some are duplicates of those in Acc3909.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of some 33 photographs taken during the construction of the Hillsborough bridge in 1901- 1903. There are also two railway photographs. Photographer is unknown.

On 18 April 1900 an agreement was signed between the federal and provincial governments for the construction of a railway and carriage bridge across the Hillsborough River, Prince Edward Island. This was to constitute part of the Murray Harbour Branch of the P.E.I. Railway and would allow people east of Charlottetown an option other than travelling by ferry to and from Charlottetown or by road around Mount Stewart. Construction was begun in the spring of 1901 by M. J. Haney of Toronto under a detail contract. Twelve spans of steel bridgework were dismantled from a bridge near Derby Junction Station on the Miramichi in New Brunswick and eleven were re-erected and set on newly constructed piers to sit 15 feet above the high water line. The fifth span was a draw span which opened and closed for navigation on the river. In the late 1950's concern mounted that the bridge was growing too old to support the increasing traffic and it was closed for a brief period of time to the intense dismay of Islanders. Although it was reopened, it was soon after replaced by the current bridge in 1961 and was dismantled in 1963. The piers however were never dismantled and are still visible from the new bridge.

Notes area


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Due to the fragile condition of the originals, researchers are required to use the photocopies in the photograph albums in the Reading Room

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


Finding aids


Associated materials

See also: Acc3909

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Accession area