Fonds Acc3708 - Tryon/Hampton United Church pastoral charge fonds : [1819, 1831-2002]

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Tryon/Hampton United Church pastoral charge fonds : [1819, 1831-2002]

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

CA PCA Acc3708

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • Microfilmed 1985-2003 (Creation)
    Tryon/Hampton pastoral charge, United Church of Canada

Physical description area

Physical description

9 reels of 35 mm microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Tryon/Hampton pastoral charge, United Church of Canada

Biographical history

In 1968 the United Church pastoral charges of Hampton and Tryon, Prince Edward Island, were amalgamated to form the Tryon/Hampton pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada. This was the most recent in a series of changes in the boundaries of charges and denominations.

Tryon was part of the Methodist Charlottetown circuit in 1815. From 1817 to 1873 Tryon and Bedeque formed a separate circuit, sharing a minister until 1868. For a time this circuit extended as far as West Cape and Margate. In 1873 the circuit was divided with the Tryon charge comprised of Tryon, Mt. Tryon, Cape Traverse, Crapaud, and Westmoreland. By 1892 it had assimilated Victoria, DeSable, Augustine Cove and Appin Road.

The Bonshaw Presbyterian Church, which also ministered to the faithful of DeSable and Appin Road, united with Tryon in 1865 to form the Tryon/Bonshaw charge of the Presbyterian Church. Hampton was a preaching point on the Tryon/Bonshaw circuit with services being held in the schoolhouse. The Hampton Presbyterian Church was built in 1888 on land purchased in 1880.

With church union in 1925 two charges of the United Church of Canada were formed: the Tryon charge comprised of Tryon, Crapaud and North Tryon and the Hampton charge comprised of Hampton, Victoria, DeSable and Appin Road. Albany joined the Tryon charge in 1927 and Cape Traverse was part of the charge from 1943 until 1968 when it was transferred to the Bedeque charge.

In 1969, the congregation at Crapaud began to worship at Tryon and the DeSable and Appin Road congregations joined in service with the Hampton congregation.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of vital statistics and administrative records of the Tryon/Hampton pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada and its predecessors, the Methodist and Presbyterian charges of those areas. Forming separate series are the adminstrative and group records of the United churches at Tryon and Crapaud. They have been broken down into the following series:

Series 1 Tryon/Bedeque Methodist circuit (pre 1873)
Series 2 Tryon/Crapaud Methodist circuit (1873-1925)
Series 3 Tryon/Bonshaw/Hampton Presbyterian circuit (pre 1925)
Series 4 Tryon United Church pastoral charge (1925-1968)
Series 5 Hampton United Church pastoral charge (1925-1968)
Series 6 Tryon/Hampton pastoral charge (1968- )
Series 7 Tryon United Church (1912- )
Series 8 Crapaud United Church (1935- )

Notes area


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Originals were returned to the pastoral charge

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


Associated materials

Related materials


General note

Microfilm is located in the microfilm cabinets in the Reading Room

General note

Reels 1-5 of the fonds, which was filmed in 1985, contains records from all of the above series, not necessarily arranged in series order. An attempt has been made to include them in their proper series in this description with a reference to their location.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Accession area